Anaheim prayer breakfast is well-attended

Biola students attended the Anaheim Prayer Breakfast recently, where Chris Tomlin and Brit Hume shared, along with others, their thoughts on community.

Abbey Bennett, Writer

Singer Chris Tomlin, along with the mayor of Anaheim and several Biola students and leaders gathered last Thursday with more than 1,500 hundred others at the Disneyland Convention Center for the Anaheim Prayer Breakfast.

“It struck me how thoughtful it was as a time of worship and fellowship,” said attendee and professor Michael Longinow, the chair of the Biola journalism department. “I have been to many prayer breakfasts that are non-sectarian and religious, but not Christian.”

Leaders Gathering Together

Mayor Curt Pringle of Anaheim hosted the breakfast, which numerous students from Biola’s journalism department, the Crowell School of Business and members of AS attended. Biola president Barry Corey gave the closing prayer for the event.

Mayors from Los Angeles County and surrounding areas, as well as district representatives and council members attended the breakfast. More than 50 communities of faith were represented by their pastors and other ministry leaders.

Non-profit organizations such as Cops for Kids and the YMCA were represented. Also in attendance were the National Men’s and Women’s Volleyball teams and George Kalogridis, the president of the Disney Resort.

Biolans Meet Brit Hume

Following the breakfast, about 15 Biola students were privileged to have a few moments to meet with and ask questions of both Brit Hume, a broadcast journalist for FOX News, and Chris Tomlin. Students thanked Hume for boldly sharing his testimony and proclaiming the gospel.

“The entire breakfast was focused on the Lord,” said Rebekah Peace, a Biola graduate student. “[Brit Hume] stood firm.”

“Brit told his testimony and didn’t hide Christ,” senior Michelle Welke said.

Community Gathering

In addition to Hume, Frank Pastore spoke at the breakfast. Pastore, an afternoon radio host on KKLA 99.5 FM, described it as a “significant community event.”

“This is not a church, but a community gathering,” Pringle said. “The value of prayer, faith and community should unite and encourage us.”

Pringle shared from Psalm 90:17: “May the favor of the Lord our God rest upon us; establish the work of our hands for us.”

Worshipping Through Scripture and Songs

Vikki Vargas, NBC 4’s Orange County bureau chief opened the breakfast in prayer. She thanked God for His great goodness and love. Chris Tomlin followed the opening prayer with his well-known song, “Our God (Is Greater).”

The event continued with readings from the Old and New Testaments by Orange County leaders and giants in journalism. Terry Horne, president and publisher of Orange County Register Communications, read from Psalm 37, and Steve Churm, CEO of Churm Media and publisher at OC Metro, read from Matthew 5. Tomlin continued in singing “Indescribable.”

“I’ve seen the church all over the world,” Tomlin said during “How Great is Our God,” which he sang in various foreign languages including English, Spanish, French and Ukrainian. “It’s good news that Jesus has built a church that is unstoppable.”

Closing with the song, “God of this City,” Tomlin shared the story of how the song originated. Written by the Irish-based group called Blue Tree in a bar/brothel in Thailand, lead singer, Aaron Boyd, simply sang his prayer for the city.

Serving Those Who Need Jesus

An honorary keynote speaker, Hume shared the need he had for God when his son, Sandy, committed suicide in 1998, just two years after he began working at FOX.

“I knew I was going to hear from God about this,” Hume said. “I was a nominal Christian until that time of darkness and grief.”

After receiving over 900 letters, prayer cards and booklets at his home in Washington, he knew he believed in God and that God had rescued him.

“None but a fool would refuse [the gospel],” he said.

Hume shared how he now has a responsibility to serve those around him and honor God in all he does.

“After repentance there are implications,” he said.

“We’re going out to cities full of people [Jesus] died for,” Corey said before closing with the final prayer. “May we be one in spirit and purpose, looking to the interests of others.”