Women’s soccer claims second victory

Eagles win 1-0 against Colorado Christian Monday.

In a tight match against Colorado Christian, Biola’s women’s soccer team emerged victorious Monday. The Eagles entered the game with a record of 1-1-0, having lost to CSU in a close match Friday. But the women’s team once again shows their prowess by winning Monday’s game, 1-0.

The game started off at 11:00 a.m. and was met with glaring sunshine and oppressive heat. But while the heat was rising off the field, it was also rising in fierce competition.

Out of the 13 shots made throughout the course of the game, six of those were taken during the first half. A shot in the middle of the second half–– made by sophomore Natalie Oliver, assisted by Brittany Barr–– won Biola’s third game of the season. Oliver scored her first goal on the Biola women’s soccer team last year as a freshman.

When asked if this new success will up her confidence she says, “Every goal boosts your confidence a little.” She also talked about her growth as a player. “My experience this year is much better than last year. I am finally in the groove of playing at a college level,” she said. “In spring we worked on many different skills, like balls skills and moves, I think because of it I came out a more confident player.” Oliver defines her personal goals as:“[to] be confident in my ability, not be afraid to make a mistake, take players on at speed, and never second guess myself, and become more field smart–– knowing what runs to make and when to make them.”

After scoring her first goal on the Biola’s women’s soccer team, sophomore Ashleigh Cooley called the experience “a major booster. It’s exciting to make the first goal for the team.” Transferring in as a sophomore, Cooley reports her experience “the Biola soccer team is like a family to me. The girls are wonderful Christian girls, and I am able to have fellowship with my teammates, which is amazing.”

“It was a close match, but our players are still young,” says Tammy McPherson, head coach of CCU’s soccer team. “We have a lot of new players.” Biola, as well, has many new players–– 10 of the 12 being freshmen. Yet, Biola’s women’s soccer team has been able to work together and succeed in the three matches they have played thus far.

“I feel today’s game was a little bit onsided, it created more chances [for goals],” reported Biola’s women’s soccer coach, Todd Elkins. Reflecting on Monday’s performance he said, “We need to be more efficient in our chances, a little bit more dangerous. We could have 50 chances and the result stay the same.”

In the next few weeks till conference play begins, the team will be working on their follow-through strategy and how to make their shots less vulnerable. There are only three more games till conference, and Biola’s confidence is rising.