Campus crime strikes library

Over the summer, a wave of crime hit the library as credit cards were stolen from wallets throughout the library.

The Biola library and Campus Safety have posted crime alert flyers throughout the library after a series of thefts occurred there over the summer.

The robberies began on May 9 in a series of seven thefts, which stopped abruptly. The thefts unexpectedly started again on July 24 and continued to Aug. 3 with renewed force, averaging six to seven thefts every other day. In most cases, credit cards were taken out of victims’ wallets. Because the thief did not take entire wallets, the victims didn’t know they had been targeted until three to five hours after their property was stolen, according to John Ojeisekhoba, chief of Campus Safety. The extra time allowed the robber to escape and use the stolen credit cards before discovery.

Ojeisekhoba said 99 percent of the victims deliberately targeted were of Asian descent. The thief, who is believed to be of Asian descent, likely used credit cards with Asian names to avoid suspicion when purchasing items. Reports given to Campus Safety from eyewitnesses also confirmed this suspicion.

To intimidate the thief, Ojeisekhoba assigned a two-week sting operation with security personnel posted on all floors of the library.

Because it was an undercover investigation, workers were not allowed to know what was going on at the time.

“They didn’t let anyone know what was going on,” said Samantha Baker, a library employee who worked during the investigation. “I did notice a strange man who would come to the library every day and repeatedly leave his wallet and laptop out in the open. His wallet would have significant amounts of money just hanging out of it. It was almost like a setup.”

Baker later assumed the man was the bait Campus Safety laid out for the thief.

Working with library personnel, Campus Safety created posters and flyers to raise awareness of the situation among students. Flyers now appear in and around the Biola library.

“Never leave your personal belongings unattended,” the posters state. “Secure your belongings prior to leaving your study area. If you notice any suspicious behavior, contact Campus Safety immediately.”

Since the incidents, more students have become cautious.

“Even though we have turnstiles [that check IDs], the library is still open to the public,” said junior Jennifer Overby, who works in the library. “I wouldn’t leave my stuff laying around.”

Crime rates have lessened since the installation of the library turnstiles three years ago, Ojeisekhoba said.

Police have not caught the summer library thief, but all thefts have ceased since the undercover investigation and the posting of the flyers.

Stolen items have not been recovered. Ojeisekhoba reminded students to keep an eye out for any suspicious activity and report it to Campus Safety immediately.