Provost candidate announced, visiting campus July 1

David Nystrom will be coming to campus as a candidate for the position of Biola’s provost and senior vice president.

Harmony Wheeler and Patricia Diaz

After a year of diligent searching, President Corey has announced the selection of David Paul Nystrom as candidate for Biola’s the position of provost and senior vice president. Nystrom, who was one of two candidates interviewed, will visit campus July 1 to discuss the possibility of taking the job.

“I have invited Dr. David P. Nystrom for a daylong conversation with a number of Biola’s constituencies,” Corey said in a release from the Office of the President. “If the offer is extended and accepted, he is prepared to assume the role later this summer with his faculty appointment appropriately reflecting his academic background in classical history and New Testament.”

Introducing David Nystrom

Nystrom, currently the vice president for academic affairs at William Jessup University in Rocklin, Calif., received his B.A. and Ph.D. from the University of California at Davis, and his M.Div. from Fuller Theological Seminary, returning later to teach at both schools. He also spent 12 years at North Park University and Theological Seminary in Chicago, as professor, chair of biblical and theological studies and director of the Institute for Christian Studies.

In his statement, Corey describes Nystrom as having “great charisma” and being a “natural team-builder.” Although Biola is a larger school than Nystrom has been working with – William Jessup reported student enrollment of 578 in fall 2009 – all of the colleagues contacted for reference said they are confident Nystrom can transition from the smaller to larger stage with ease.

“I believe that David Nystrom is a rising presence in the world of Christian higher education, and his potential at Biola University will be significant as we move forward academically,” Corey said in his statement.

Nystrom discovered by Search Committee

Corey first met Nystrom in December after he was deemed as a potential candidate by Biola’s Search Advisory Committee. Corey said the search committee looked for a candidate with certain characteristics including strong interpersonal skills, a deep grasp of integrative thinking from a Biblical worldview and confidence in leading faculty to higher levels of excellence. Though Corey and the committee reviewed profiles for other candidates throughout the spring semester, they kept in contact with Nystrom, who continued the extensive interview process.

Corey has said he admires his “spirit of Christian humility,” emphasizing that Nystrom did not seek out the position at Biola. With a teaching and administrative background at both secular and Christian colleges, Nystrom has been an outstanding and beloved leader wherever he goes.

Nystrom endorsed by Talbot Deans

“His theological core is conservative, and his ability to analyze contexts and arrive at solutions has made many identify him as a gifted leader,” Corey said in his release.

Nystrom is committed to helping institutions maintain a strong biblical foundation. He has been interviewed by Talbot Deans Dennis Dirks and Michael Wilkins, who have fully endorsed his theology.

Nystrom will be visiting campus with his wife of 27 years, Kristina, and their 11-year-old daughter Annika.