Seahorse soccer team finds home at Biola

The Southern California Seahorses, a Christian semi-professional soccer team, will now play all its home games at Biola.

Seahorse player and Biola junior Kennedy Chongo jukes his defender and breaks for the goal during a Seahorse home game at La Mirada High School last season. | BEN ORR / Courtesy

Mark Aguirre, Writer

For the first time in school history, Biola has joined with the Southern California Seahorses to bring high level soccer games to Biola’s campus.

“Seahorse soccer is very aligned with Biola in its mission statement,” said General Manger of the Seahorses, Paul Gizzi. “We are definitely grateful, and I want say thank you to the Biola community for the partnership.”

This partnership will allow Seahorses to play all their home games on Biola’s soccer field. The players are already gearing up for their home opener against Ventura County Fusion.

The Seahorses are part of the Premier Development League or PD which is one of the highest levels of amateur soccer in the United States. Players have moved on to play in the MLS, but Gizzi says that his organization is not just about getting Christians to the next level.

He says that the team spends 45 minutes on spiritual growth every night during practice. They talk about faith and about the purpose of a team. Gizzi has made it his goal to use the sport to share Christ.

In fact, the Seahorses have created a friendship with Biola because of similar goals. Over the years, Gizzi has worked with Biola’s athletic program to run camps every summer on their facilities. Additionally, he has been with Biola over 50 years helping shape the Eagles’ athletic programs in skill and character.

“I have personally taken the Biola women and men’s soccer teams overseas for mission trips,” said Gizzi. “When you take teams on a short-term mission trip to partner with missionaries around the world, it brings real joy.”

The Seahorses have also taken a mission centered approach to their organization. Last year the team went to Mexico as a part of their yearly outreach trips. Gizzi said that the players are being trained physically and spiritually to be deployed for Christ.
“We take it seriously,” Gizzi said. “The purpose of sports ministry is not only for personal enrichment but it is meant to be useful for players when they go back to their countries or their college teams.”

One Biola athlete, junior Kennedy Chongo, joined the Seahorse team last year and is glad that Biola and the Seahorses are working together.

“I feel supported knowing that Biola supports my team,” said Chongo. “Now that the two have become one, it almost feels like I’m playing for one team.”

Chongo has been electric for the Eagles and the Seahorses. His ability to serve the ball to others and catch the other team on their heels has contributed to the success of both teams.

“He really embodies who we are about,” said Gizzi. “He has great foot skills and speed, and I could see Kennedy going to the next level after playing with us.”

The Seahorse team is lead by the women’s Head Coach, Todd Elkins. Currently, they are off to a great start going 2-0 against tough semi-pro teams, the Hollywood Hitmen and LA Legends. Two years ago they finished as divisional champs, and took home conference titles several times and even reached semifinals.

The team will have a great challenge this Saturday as they head to the turf to battle last year’s championship team. They will be competing at 7:00 p.m. under the lights.
The Seahorses will also have a Super-20 team that will play before them. Bryan Kuderman, Head Coach for men’s soccer, will lead the Super-20 team.

This team operates under a 20-and-under age group for younger players. Its makeup is primarily of students who are freshmen in college or high school students who have done well on their teams. Their doubleheader will start at 4:00 p.m. on Saturday.

Biola students are welcomed to come to both games free of charge as long as they bring their ID cards.