Circa Survive’s latest album surprises with newfound energy

“Blue Sky Noise” cuts to the core of the human experience.

Circa Survives newest album “Blue Sky Noise,”  released April 20, is filled with raging energy and lyrical relevance.

Circa Survive’s newest album “Blue Sky Noise,” released April 20, is filled with raging energy and lyrical relevance.

Staci Bell, Writer

First there was “Juturna,” Circa Survive’s debut album that symbolized a new beginning for vocalist Anthony Green and band members of the late This Day Forward. If you’ve ever listened to Circa Survive, you’d know that “Juturna” was good, but it was weird. It lacked the magnetism needed for an album that couldn’t live up to what musical predecessors like The Mars Volta and Minus the Bear were already better at making.

Then there was “On Letting Go,” Circa Survive’s sophomore release. This time around, Circa Survive delivered with charisma, but lacked that weirdness factor that made Circa Survive charming. They discarded everything that made them unique, opting instead for a very polished and refined album. Yet it was evident that Circa Survive had potential. They proved that they were pretty good at being bizarre and then they proved that they could be memorable. If only they could prove themselves to be both.

And now, there is “Blue Sky Noise,” Circa Survive’s newest album, released April 20. Filled with raging energy and lyrical relevance, “Blue Sky Noise” cuts to the core of the human experience. “Strange Terrain” is a vivacious opener with an incredibly attractive main riff complimented by the matchless voice of Anthony Green. Howling guitars follow in “Get Out,” as the music romps and jumps with ardor previously not experienced in their prior albums. Meanwhile, tribal drumbeats fume along with brilliant guitars and the fervent shouts of children repeatedly crying out, “I don’t want excuses / I don’t want apologies” in “Glass Arrows.”.

Amazingly, the energy doesn’t stop at the music. The relevance of Green’s lyrics blows everything else he’s ever written out of the water. While his lyrics have always been well written and thought provoking, they’ve always seemed too dense, making his music feel inconsequential for most.

One listen to “I Felt Free” will convince you otherwise. The song opens with a beautifully-crafted melody that flows freely alongside Green’s voice as he earnestly sings, “I fell apart in your arms for the last time / and I felt free to do what I want because of the things that you told me.” A sobering melody of lost love and of the painful process of moving on, “I Felt Free” surges and flows between an ominous mood and one that shines, reminding us that, “I will learn to love again / I will learn to love / I will learn.”

The rest of “Blue Sky Noise” is a continuation of the newfound effervescent energy that not even their biggest fans would have ever expected Circa Survive to find. Additionally, the swift Spanish guitar licks of “Fever Dreams” and the snake-like guitar riffs of “Spirit of the Stairwell” coupled with the apprehensiveness of “The Longest Mile” and tropical twang of “Dyed in the Wool” together showcase the immense potential that Circa Survive has recently discovered within itself.

Furthermore, the band defies all previous preconceptions with their song “Dyed in the Wool” as it closes the album without any sort of grandiosity that was so familiar in their previous albums. Instead, “Blue Sky Noise” is closed most beautifully with brilliantly diminishing guitars that leave the listener thoughtful and feeling fulfilled.

For those who have never given Circa Survive a listen or have thought them too boring, “Blue Sky Noise” is an absolutely delectable album that should be given a chance. It’s challenging and full of unexpected passion that, if given the time, will certainly become a much beloved favorite.