Thriving in turmoil will be theme at Biola Media Conference

“Worlds Collide” is the theme for this year’s conference, the biggest of its kind in Christian circles.

Amber Baker, Writer

Biola is gearing up for its annual Biola Media Conference at CBS Studios, where Dick Cook, chairman of Walt Disney Studios, will be the keynote speaker.

The Biola Media Conference is one of the largest conferences involved in mainstream media to date. The conference, set for May 1, is themed, “Worlds Collide,” and will delve into the chaos created by the economic crisis and, in some ways, technology.

The list of industry professionals who will speak also includes Michael Flaherty, president of Walden Media, Perry Lanaro, vice president of Paramount Pictures and Biola’s Jack Hafer, a producer and the chair of Biola’s cinema and media arts department. The speakers will offer tips and techniques about screenwriting, budgeting and completion of projects. Mostly, the conference will address how to survive and thrive in the tension facing the industry and economy.

“We are really prayerful about where this industry is heading,” said Peggy Rupple, co-director of the Biola Media Conference. “With all the upheaval within the industry and less money for industry film makers, the industry is feeling squeezed as far as getting projects made.”

Attendees will learn about the latest technology and digital possibilities as the clash between traditional and new models will be deeply examined.

“Our new BMC format allows us to offer an extra round of workshops this year to the event, adding even more value to the day,” said Hafer in a press release.

Various workshops including “10 Script Secrets for Box Office Success,” will be offered at the all-day event.

Previous years have handled subjects on how to defend attacks on the faith, the rising interest and openness to spirituality in Hollywood and how to impact the entertainment industry for Christ.

Put on by 75 volunteers and four interns, the conference has seen approximately 20 states and three countries involved in its history. The event has seen students from countless universities across the nation, both Christian and non-Christian.

“We have a class of 25 from campus and approximately 75-100 media arts students planning on attending this year,” said Sandi Nicolaides, secretary of the cinema and media arts department

Matt Hawksworth, a film major in the process of producing a short film called, “Bubblegum,” encouraged students to attend.

“This opportunity will help those who want to get into the industry to work as a community, make important contacts and hear from the best in film, television and digital media,” he said.
“Why pass up an opportunity to meet the best in the industry while they are all here at the same time?”

Interested students can register online at Biolamedia.com. Admission is $180 at the door.