Felix Hernandez: A batter’s nightmare

PRO ATHLETE PICK: The Seattle Mariners are looking to make some noise in the American League with their prize starting pitcher, Felix Hernandez.

”King Felix,” as he is often called, has been overpowering the opposition with his fastball and fooling batters with his wicked breaking balls. | AP Photo / Elaine Thompson

AP

Tyler Stewart, Writer

With the start of the 2010 MLB season, the Seattle Mariners are looking to make some noise in the American League with their prize starting pitcher, Felix Hernandez. ”King Felix,” as he is often called, has been overpowering the opposition with his fastball and fooling batters with his wicked breaking balls.

Hernandez was a highly touted prospect at a very young age, being able to throw pitches over 90 miles per hour as a 14-year-old. After graduating high school, the Seattle Mariners picked him up from the free agent pool. In 2003, Hernandez pitched for the Mariners’ Single- A affiliate, the Everett Aqua Sox, and boasted a 7-2 record. The next year, he played in the California League before moving up to Double-A.

In 2005, Hernandez was pitching for the Triple-A Tacoma Rainiers when he got the call to play in the big leagues, becoming the youngest pitcher to play in the majors at 19 years old. His first major league win came against the Minnesota Twins, pitching 8 shut-out innings.

The next season in 2006 was Hernandez’s first full year in the major leagues, in which he pitched his first complete game in June and his first shutout in August. The Mariners’ organization became concerned about possible injury to their star pitcher, because of his lack of conditioning, leading them to limit his innings for the season.

Hernandez continued to dominate for the next two seasons as the Mariners quickly lifted his inning restriction. In 2009, Hernandez signed a $3.8 million contract with Seattle for one year. After a poor outing in May, Hernandez was once again able to rise to the occasion and continue his winning ways.

In the 2010 season, Hernandez has been involved in trade talks and could potentially be playing for the Boston Red Sox. Expect Hernandez to put up some spectacular numbers this season, whatever team is fortunate enough to obtain his services.