Baseball sweeps Concordia in doubleheader

The Eagles took both games, one of which included a ninth-inning rally, only a few days after they were pummeled in Irvine. Pitching made the difference.

Biola gained a pair of much needed wins as they swept visiting Concordia at Eagles Diamond Saturday. The sweep helps Biola improve to 20-12 overall and 13-11 in GSAC play while Concordia falls to 19-18 overall and 9-15 in conference play.

The Eagles took both games, one of which included a ninth-inning rally, only a few days after they were pummeled in Irvine. Pitching seemed to be the main difference between the two losses in Irvine and the sweep at home.

“We pitched well at home. Over there we didn’t pitch well. The bullpen really struggled to. O’Neil pitched well and Brueske pitched great in the second game,” said Coach Verhoeven.

Concordia took a two-run lead in the third inning, but the Eagles responded with two runs in the fourth. Sophomore Vinnie Fayard scored on a double from freshmen Benji Sutherland.  Senior Trever Blood scored on a wild pitch by junior Concordia pitcher Dean Persinger.

Sophomore Boone Farrington drove in junior Brian Loard with a sacrifice fly in the bottom of the fifth. After being held scoreless in the sixth inning, Biola added a run in each of the remaining innings.

Despite the strong offensive output from the Eagles, Concordia would rally with two runs in the ninth inning. With the bases loaded and one out, Concordia junior Matt Ivanoff stepped to the plate and hit a line drive towards short stop. Senior Armando Arzate made a great play in grabbing the line drive and tossing it to junior Garrett Leon for a double play to end the inning.

Heading into the bottom of the ninth inning, the Eagles found themselves down by one run. After a walk to Farrington, which advanced Arzate to second, Leon tied the game with an RBI single to left field. Junior Brent Opdyke drove in Farrington on a mishandled grounder at second by Concordia, giving Biola the victory 6-5.

In the second game between the two teams, Concordia jumped out to an early lead with three runs in the first inning and one in the second. Biola responded with an offensive flurry in the second inning, scoring seven runs.

Senior Daniel Bodemer drove in two runs with a double to left field. Sophomore Boone Farrington gave the Eagles the lead with a three-run home run. Leon followed Farrington with a home run of his own. Outfielder Benji Sutherland added one more run before the close of the inning with an RBI-double.

Junior pitcher Alex Brueske took the mound, allowing just three more runs before stopping Concordia’s comeback in its tracks. Concordia threatened in the in the final inning, facing a bases loaded and two out situation. Brueske eventually struck out a Concordia batter to end the game 9-7.

With 12 more conference games, the Eagles look to finish fourth in their conference and ranked in the top 25.

“We have to finish at least 6th,” said Coach Verhoeven. “The top six teams in conference make playoffs. We’re fifth right now. Our number one goal is be fourth.”

After sweeping Concordia, Biola returned to the field Monday against Cal State San Marcos. The Cougars took a commanding 9-4 lead with a four run seventh inning.

Biola made a run when Fayard hit a three-run home run. Cal State San Marcos was able to record the final out of the inning when junior Michael Andrews grounded to second. The loss put the Eagles at 20-13 overall on the season.

The Eagles will travel to Riverside for a four game GSAC series against California Baptist University.