Softball takes a beating

Four straight losses keeps the Eagles from capturing the crucial fourth place spot.

Mark Aguirre, Writer

Last month, the softball team took two straight losses in conference play against the last place team in GSAC, Hope International, and last weekend the Eagles were beaten by California Baptist University twice at home in a double header, giving Biola its fourth straight loss.

Coming off a weeklong break from classes, the Biola softball team (7-11) could not capture the crucial fourth place spot in GSAC standings as its two losses to CBU’s Lancers (17-1) drops them below archrival APU (7-9).

In the first game, starting pitcher for Biola, junior Lyndsie Roberts, allowed two unearned runs, which came in the top of the second inning. An error in foul territory caused the defending champs to take advantage with a single up the middle by senior Sarah Hurlbut. This was followed by another solid single by sophomore Tina Galinato, which moved Hurlbut into scoring position. Both Hurlbut and Galinato ended up scoring the only two runs of the game.

In the second game, Biola’s starter senior Kristen Larson was put to work with three runs in the top of the first inning and 10 runs in the next. The Lancers’ bats were red hot as they launched two home runs in the game, which included a grand slam in the second inning. The Eagles tenacity to fight back showed up in the fourth inning when junior Jullian storm and senior Krista Johnson stepped on home plate to score two earned runs, stopping the ensuing shutout by No. 1 CBU.
Roberts (9-9) ended the first game with an impressive seven strikeouts, and Larson (8-8) received nine earned runs off of six hits in three innings pitched in the second game.

Biola softball continues Tuesday, April 13 at Freedom Field against a non-conference opponent, California State San Marcos.