Biola goes 4-0 in series against San Diego Christian

The Eagles send 21 home during their second round of doubleheader games against San Diego Christian.

George Garcia, Writer

The Biola baseball team drove in 21 runs Saturday, completing a sweep over San Diego Christian in a doubleheader at Stars Field in Lakeside.

After dropping some early conference games and losing some key players to injuries, the team has won nine out of their last eleven games. With the win, the Eagles gain momentum while improving to 16-6 on the season. The sweep puts the Eagles within 2 1/2 games of first place with a 10-5 record in GSAC play.

Biola began game one with just one run over the first four innings. It wasn’t until the fifth inning that the Eagles broke the game open. The bases were loaded with three consecutive singles, allowing junior Garrett Leon to bring in two runs with a double to center, giving the Eagles a three run lead. Senior Trevor Blood stepped up to the plate and emptied the bases with his eighth home run of the season. The home run pushed the lead to 6-0 heading into the sixth inning.

San Diego Christian came back with a run in the bottom of the sixth inning, cutting into the Eagle’s lead. Biola answered back however with two more runs in the seventh. Blood brought in another run; bud did so by taking one for the team and being hit by a pitch with the bases loaded.

Leon added two more runs in the eighth inning with a home run down the left field line.

Senior Dale Harder pitched seven innings in the game, allowing just two runs. He improved to 3-1 on the season.

The Hawks would again cut into the lead with a two-run home run by their first batter and a solo home run by the next batter. Freshmen pitcher Jonathan Cade gave up one more run in the inning, cutting the lead in half going into the ninth inning.
The Eagles added two more runs however, on an RBI-single by senior Armando Arzate. Junior Kyle Atkins took the mound and closed out the game 12-6.

In the second game, the Biola continued their stellar offensive play with four runs in the first inning. Sophomore Mac Sullivan contributed with an RBI double down the right field line. San Diego Christian was able to add two runs with a Two-run double.
Biola brought in three additional runs on a RBI sacrifice fly by junior Brent Opdyke and RBI groundouts by Leon and sophomore Vinnie Fayard. The Hawks would cut into the lead in the fourth inning, making a 7-4 game, but would fail to get any closer to the high powered Eagle offense.

The Eagles seem to have picked up their play after suffering injuries to juniors Chris Baek and Jeff Grijalva.

“We’re playing real good defense and we’re swinging the bat,” said coach Verhoeven. “Now we’re starting to play consistent defense. We’re starting to get pitching out of the rotation. The main turn around for us has been defensively.”

The Eagles return to GSAC play for a four-game GSAC series Wednesday and Thursday against Vanguard at Eagle Diamond.