Speakers testify at Missions Conference

Several speakers shared personal stories about victory over “darkness.”

Photographer: Mike Villa

MIKE VILLA / The Chimes

Amber Baker, Writer

After Beth Grant’s husband passed away when she was just 25, she knew she had to believe all of the Bible as truth or reject it entirely.

She chose to believe. Grant, one of the four main speakers at Biola’s 81st annual Missions Conference, “Let There Be Light,” explained how she has seen the theme of darkness play out in her own life, leading her not away from God, but closer to him.

Grant, along with her husband David, spoke about Project Rescue, a program they pioneered with a mission to rescue women and children trapped in sexual slavery. The project provides physical, mental, spiritual and emotional safety, along with the love of Christ. While many organizations aim to restore those trapped in the sex industry, Grant said only bringing the knowledge of Christ changes lives.

“We cannot underestimate the power of darkness,” warned Grant, who graduated with a Ph.D. in intercultural education from Biola’s School of Intercultural Studies.

The three-day conference allowed students to soak in what God is doing around the world through his people. Cultural events, Global Awareness tours, seminars and prayer opportunities enlightened students about the world around them. Day one saw students marching into the gym, amidst cheers and the steady beat of drums, waving flags from across the world, all signifying Biola’s commitment to the nations.

Students interacted in events like base camp, featuring a Bedouin village with live goats, International House of Drinks and other connection events. This year saw around 2,000 students in attendance for all three sessions on days one and two, with 800 students attending both Friday sessions. Attendance was comparable to last year’s numbers, according to SMU President Chris Reeder.

As of Monday, SMU was still short of its $20,000 fundraising goal for sending Bibles to the persecuted believers in North Korea, China, Columbia and Egypt. Totals as of Monday were at $6,000. SMU will match up to $10,000 of student and faculty donations.

SMU President Chris Reeder compared overall success of the conference with past conferences.

“We’ve already heard stories of people off campus that have come to the event and began a relationship with Jesus,” he said.

Reeder gave his personal testimony toward the end of the conference.

“Six years ago, I was a broken, drunk sinner,” he said. “If you’re being stopped from being used by him by fear or mediocrity, I pray that God speaks to you the rest of this morning and the rest of your life.”

Grant also witnessed God’s saving grace from the darkness.

“Relief can take the child out of the brothel, but only Jesus can take the brothel out of the child,” she said. “What gives me hope is I see the change. I see the light in their eyes. You can see death, and when Jesus comes in, darkness turns to light. That is hope.”