WEB ONLY: Several personal records set at recent track meets

Biola track and field competes in the NAIA Indoor National Championship in Tennessee and two events in Southern California.

Mark Aguirre, Writer

Biola’s track and field team accumulated some distance of their own as they finished NAIA Indoor National Championships in Tennessee two weeks ago, and now have completed two recent events that took place in Los Angeles and San Diego.

In fact, The Eagles’ distance squad started off on the right foot last Friday as runners began their first outdoor season event with impressive times. The 2010 Occidental Distance Carnival, hosted by Occidental College, allowed both men and women from respected schools to take part in the 800, 1500, 500 and 10000 meter run, along with the 300 meter steeplechase.

GSAC schools in attendance included The Master’s College, Fresno Pacific University, rival Azusa Pacific University and Vanguard University. Also, some Division I, II, and II schools from NCAA attended.

Six runners took part in the 800 meter run for Biola, with noteworthy times coming from sophomores Mark Weller (1:59.19) and Matt Arroues (2:05.92), both wining each of their respective heats. Additionally, sophomore Boston College transfer Brian Aukshunas won the 1500 meter run in his first debut as an Eagle with a finishing time of 4:15.83.

A personal record was set by Clarissa Kenney, another sophomore who ran a 2:23.91 in the women’s 800.

On Saturday, the all-day Point Loma Invitational Track Meet was Biola’s first full outdoor event. Although only a portion of the Eagles competed in this meet, several team members finished the day with noteworthy performances.

First, junior Ryan Hansen and sophomore Gabe Aeschliman got things going quick for Biola. Hansen hit his personal record in the javelin on his first throw. This mark of 54.63 meters is just 1.5 meters from national qualifying. Aeschliman finished first in the 200 meter dash by beating out Bryan Dieffenbach from UC San Diego with a time of 22.52 and finished third with a mark of 50.01 in the 400-meter run. Freshman thrower Naomi Sornos had a good day too, winning the discus with a 35.23 meter throw and finished third in the shot put with a 10.41 throw.

Lastly, long jumpers Ryan Foster and Jameson Henry both set personal records as they also placed third and fourth with jumps of 5.77 and 5.72 meters.

The Eagles are off on the road once again on March 19 for the University of Redlands Invitational. They are planning on sending most of its squad to this track and field meet. Also, Biola is scheduled to take part in the UC Irvine Spring Break Invitational on March 20th which is a track event only.