Talbot complex construction may begin this summer

Biola plans to break ground on the new Talbot East building as early as June 1 for an estimated $11.5 million. Problem: The fundraising team says it is still $5 million shy of what is needed to start.

Elizabeth Mak, Writer

Biola plans to break ground on the new Talbot East building as early as June 1 for an estimated $11.5 million, a bid agreed upon by general contractors at the beginning of the month.

But the Advancement team reports that its about $5 million shy of what is needed to start, said Adam Morris, vice president for Advancement.

About 70 administrators, faculty and students showed up for a prayer session devoted specifically to the Talbot project midday Tuesday. Lines were etched in chalk along the grass and sidewalk, distinguishing the boundaries for the new building. Attendees signed up for a time slot over the next 40 days to fast and pray for the project.

“Ultimately, God’s going to show up,” said President Corey at the gathering. “Sometimes we have not because we ask not…. We’re not going to put our dreams on hold because there’s an economic recession going on.”

Morris said breaking ground will likely attract attention from people outside Biola.

“Breaking ground generates excitement in the broader community,” Morris said. “Once you break ground, then we go out and share the story with the larger community.”

Three years ago, Biola expected construction costs for Talbot East to hit $13.8 million. Because of the rough economy, contractors are willing to work for less, saving Biola an extra $2 million in expected costs, according to Ken Bascom, senior director of facilities planning and construction.

The number, however, does not take into consideration the cost of government permits, inspection fees and furnishings. With those costs, the expected total for Talbot East is $19 million. So far, Biola’s Advancement team has raised about $9.2 million in gifts and pledges for the building.

The entire project — including the completion of both Talbot East and Talbot West — is $55.4 million.

Phase one of the Talbot Building Project Complex, which entails the completion of Talbot East, will take approximately 15 months from breaking ground to occupying the new facility, Morris said.

“Even though the economy is still not great, the Lord continues to bless Biola and families are still willing to give generously,” Morris said.

Fundraising for the project comes from donations given by high network families, alumni and foundations. One of the responsibilities of the University Advancement team is to visit interested donors across the country and help them discover creative ways to help Biola and. The team has asked people to prayerfully consider jumping on board with Biola in this project in particular. Members set up individual conferences and sit down with people in their homes. Many of these families are already on track with Biola’s ministry and vision and are more than ready to help.

“Many of these families are already in a pattern of giving,” Morris said.

Morris emphasized that when a family decides to make this major investment in the Biola community, it’s ultimately a matter of the Holy Spirit’s prompting in their hearts.

“We’re trusting the Lord will move their hearts,” he said.

Morris has spent 20 years working on fundraising projects for Biola. He says it’s exciting to see many of their projects progressing and ultimately finished, evidenced through many of the new renovations and buildings around campus, including the library and the Business Building. Their department is responsible for scholarships and academic buildings on campus.

Talbot student Steven Chai expressed frustration at Biola’s use of its financial resources. He agreed that training Bible teachers is important, but said great biblical teaching doesn’t have to happen in an expensive, new facility.

“I feel like especially in light of tragedies in Haiti and Chile and all over the world it kind of seems like…a building project here might not be the right allocation of resources,” he said.

About three weeks ago, a donor gave $50,000 for the Talbot project, Morris said. The benefactor gave on the condition that Biola University also think about its response to the crisis in Haiti.

“We want to be sensitive to the needs of Haiti, but we also want to equip more students to be able to minister to the needs of others both here in the U.S. and around the world,” Morris said.

Since Myers Hall was built almost 50 years ago, enrollment has increased from a meager 46 students to over 1,000 enrolled in Talbot today. Many students have anticipated a newer facility with more space. They’re ready for the new building to finally break ground.

“Myers Hall is great and all but it’s definitely time for a revamping and I think the extra space is going to be incredibly beneficial for Talbot’s M.Div Program,” said Ben Campbell, a Talbot student from Hawaii.

Former Talbot AS officer Daniel Eng felt the same way. While talking with some friends, he spotted a man walk into Myers Hall and look at the glass-encased model of the building. The man asked Eng what they planned to do with Myers Hall.

“They’re going to tear it down,” Eng said, recalling his conversation with the man. “This building is falling apart and there’s no ventilation. We just don’t like this building and we’re so glad we’re going to get a new building.”

A woman standing behind the man graciously informed Eng that the man to whom he was talking was the grandson of Nancy Myers, the woman after whom Myers hall is named. Nancy Myers is the daughter of one of the Myers brothers who worked on the building’s construction in the early 1960s. Eng stood speechless and embarrassed.

“I was so excited to tell about the new building that I wasn’t very sensitive to someone who would actually care if the old building still existed,” Eng said. “And this guy was someone who would care the most.”