Biola baseball ripostes after loss to APU

After a humiliating loss, Biola baseball comes back to win the last two games in its three-game series against the Cougars.

George Garcia, Writer

The Eagles baseball team gained momentum going forward in the season with their doubleheader sweep over rival Azusa Pacific University. 

They improved to 10-4 overall and 4-3 in conference play while the Cougars dropped to 8-8 overall and 1-7 in conference play.

In the first game, offense seemed to take center stage for the Eagles.

Senior pitcher Dale Harder held the Cougars scoreless in the first inning as he forced a double play and struck out another batter. Sophomore Boon Farrington began the game for the Eagles with a single to right field. Junior Garrett Leon followed Farrington with a double to put two players in scoring position with no outs. Sophomores Vinnie Fayard and Mac Sullivan each stepped up to the plate and hit RBI groundouts to score the first two runs of the game.

Harder took the mound and held Azusa scoreless in the second inning. The Eagles stepped in the batter’s box again and exploded offensively. Biola saw their offense produce eight runs against three different Cougar pitchers. 

Farrington drove in the first two runs of the inning with a RBI double to center field, bringing in senior Daniel Bodemer and freshmen Benji Sutherland.

Later, Fayard stepped up to the plate again and welcomed Cougar sophomore Joe Karlik with a two-run single. Azusa than brought in senior Scott Sokada to face senior Trever Blood and junior Brent Opdyke, who each singled to push the lead to 9-0. Bodemer added one final run on a sacrifice fly.

Azusa cut the lead to four runs by the sixth inning but was be unable to score any runs over the next two innings. Fayard and sophomore Phillip Blazek each drove in a run to give the Eagles a six-run lead heading into the ninth inning. The Cougars were held scoreless in the ninth, giving the Eagles the first victory.

The second game would not include as much offense however, as the teams combined for only three runs.

Azusa would strike first with its only run of the game in the second inning.  The Eagles tied the game in the fifth off an RBI single by senior Armando Arzate.

The Cougars threatened in the seventh inning with runners in scoring position and their top batter at the plate. Blood made the catch before crashing into the wall to end the inning.

The Eagles held Azusa scoreless in the seventh inning, giving themselves a chance to pick up the win. Fayard was intentionally walked in the inning, and freshman Christopher Neal successfully moved Leon and Fayard with a sacrifice bunt. Junior Brian Loard was then walked and a new pitcher was brought in for Azusa. The new pitcher hit Sutherland on the first pitch, forcing in the winning run.

“We really stepped it up defensively. Defensively we really stepped up our game,” said coach Verhoeven. “We need to keep getting well pitched games and play defense like we’re capable of.”