Strong performance by Campbell helps Eagles advance

Men’s Basketball: Eagles rough up Cal Baptist at home and advance to the semifinals, where they will face rival Azusa Pacific.

Mark Aguirre, Writer

The Eagles roughed up their opponent, the California Baptist Lancers, in the GSAC quarterfinal game hosted by Biola.

A star-studded performance from senior Danny Campbell helped advance his team into Saturday’s GSAC semifinals to face rival Azusa Pacific.

Freshman Davy Hopkins’ pull-up jumper gave CBU the first deuce of the game. Biola took charge the rest of the period, however, and gained a 12-point lead within 10 minutes of play. The Eagles looked in good shape as they concluded the half by a score of 30-20.

In the next period, the Eagles picked up right where they started. The slight CBU comeback from a 12-point deficit to a 3-point deficit ironically produced the drive Biola needed to finish off the Lancers 65-51.

The packed Chase Gymnasium saw a dominating performance from Campbell that they hadn’t seen in a while. Campbell earned a double-double (20 points and 11 rebounds), and Senior Marlon King also got his shine on with 14 points.

CBU could not get anything going offensively, shooting 20-60 from the field and 7-27 from the three-point range. This can be accredited to the Eagles’ match zone defense, which played a factor in keeping the Lancer’s inside game stagnant.