AS fills empty posts

AS brings in new faces after suffering the premature resignations of several of its employees last semester.

Alethia Selby, Writer

At the beginning of the semester, AS filled four positions that were left empty after the fall semester, bringing in new faces.

Those who stepped down left open two senator positions, the multi-cultural relations director and a secretary position. Everyone who stepped down did so for personal reasons, said Cameron Spencer, AS vice president of marketing and communications.

“We didn’t fire anyone or ask anyone to step down,” Spencer said.

The positions within AS are typically yearlong commitments, making the number of people leaving AS unusual.

“It’s difficult from our perspective. I don’t question their level of commitment entering the positions,” Spencer said, pointing out that the bad economy has forced many students to pick up extra work. “There’s just a lot of personal reasons that you can’t really foresee.”

As of Feb. 2, all the positions had been filled, and the new senators representing the Block and commuters were confirmed.

“I am most excited to see, I would say, how bringing in these people will refresh our staff,” Spencer said. “It will give us a shot of excitement to begin the semester.”

Senior Daniel Chacon stepped into the position of multi-cultural relations director after taking a semester off to work as a fireman. To upperclassmen, he may look familiar, as he ran for AS president two years ago and has served the student body as a senator twice already. Within his position, he will be putting on events to cultivate a diverse community and to give the opportunity for students learn more about different cultures.

“I want to execute our events well, and I want them to be well attended,” Chacon said. “Because I’m graduating this May, this is my last chance to give back to Biola.”

Chacon didn’t mind that this is his last semester at Biola.

“I saw a need, and I want to be a part of it. I love multi-cultural relations,” Chacon said.

Sophomore Allison Licata stepped into the role of a commuter senator. Licata volunteered with AS over the fall semester and is excited to become more involved.

“I’m really going to try to bring community between the commuter students and the dorming students,” Licata said.

The Block’s new senator is Jeff Wille, a junior who has wanted to get involved with AS for the past three years. He is not only thrilled to represent the constituents of The Block, but also to better the communication that he feels is lacking.

“The biggest thing is communication with students in The Block,” Wille said. “Everyone is here and there a lot. I feel like sometimes they don’t realize how the money is being spent.”