Eagle’s basketball soars over Cal Baptist

Women overcome dangerous Lancers with several strong individual performances. Men breeze by with a nearly 30-point win.

Trevor Stewart, Writer

Women defeat upset-minded Lancers

Junior forward Jesse Conicelli was one of four Biola players to score in double figures, scoring 23, to help power the Eagles past the California Baptist Lancers 86-79 on Saturday night at the Van Dyne Gymnasium in Riverside.

Conicelli also contributed nine rebounds, five assists and two steals. Sophomore guard Charrise Reece and junior center Christina Barclay each added 18 points. Reece also dished out eight assists, grabbed six rebounds and had two steals. Barclay had four rejections, six boards, three assists and a steal.

The first half of the game was a seesaw battle with both teams going on runs and exchanging the lead back and forth. Biola would go down by as many as six before the half, but would use a late spurt to pull within three as the half came to a close.

The second half was like the first, with many lead changes and scoring runs. Biola used a 36-18 advantage in the paint to pull ahead in the second half. After a huge three-pointer by Reese, the Eagles regained the lead and never again relinquish it. The team hit 14 out of 18 of its free throws down the stretch to seal the victory.

The victory is the eighth in the last nine games for the Eagles, who improve to 11-6 overall and to 7-2 in GSAC play.

The Eagles close out the first half of GSAC play Tuesday Jan. 26, hosting Hope International University at 5:30 p.m. at Chase Gymnasium.

Men’s team overpowers Cal Baptist 73-47

Senior forward Rocky Hampton scored a game-high 19 points, and Biola shot 63 percent from the field as they completely dominated California Baptist University en route to a 73-47 victory in a GSAC game on Saturday night at Van Dyne Gymnasium in Riverside.

Hampton was unstoppable down low, going 9-of-11 from the field while racking up nine boards, two blocks and a steal. Senior guard Danny Campbell contributed 17 points, hitting 7 of 9 from the field and 3 of 5 from three-point range.

The Eagles came out of the gate firing. They connected on their first seven shots, racing out to an early lead from which the Lancers would never recover.

The second half was like the first, with hot Biola shooting and a stout defense. The Eagles NAIA top ranked defense caused headaches for the Lancers, which only shot 5 of 29 from beyond the arc and held them to under 50 points. Biola has now held five opponents under 50 points this season.

The Eagles improve to 18-1 overall with the victory and to 8-1 in GSAC play.

The Eagles return home to wrap up the first half of conference play on Tuesday Jan. 26, hosting Hope International University at 7:30 p.m. in Chase Gymnasium.