Biola basketball prevails over The Master’s

Men recover from their first loss off the season with a rout over The Master’s College, and the women rally in the second half to defeat their opponent.

Trevor Stewart, Writer

Men rebound from loss to defeat The Master’s (W 71-57)

Biola men’s basketball team didn’t act like a team that just lost its first game when it squared off against The Master’s College Thursday. The players came out and did what they had been doing for the past 16 games — dominating their opponents.

Senior guard Danny Campbell netted a team-high 22 points, shooting 8 of 13 from the floor and shot an excellent 5 of 9 from downtown. Senior center Rocky Hampton had 18 points and grabbed 14 boards for his eighth double-double of the season while also blocking three shots.

The game would be back and forth in the first half, as both teams went on a run. But the Eagles came out on top leading by six at the half.

Biola would come out on fire in the second half, going on a 23-9 run over the next 10 minutes to attain a comfortable 52-39 lead.

From there the Eagles would never look back and cruised to victory. Biola shot 57.9 percent in the second half, hitting 11-of-19 from the field, including 4-of-9 from three-point land.

The Eagles improve to 17-1 on the season and 7-1 in the GSAC. The Mustangs dropped to 12-6 overall and 5-3 in conference play.

The Eagles return to action 7:30 p.m. Saturday, Jan.23, traveling to Riverside to face off against California Baptist University.

Women rally late to get win over The Master’s

The Eagles, down by six in the waning minutes of the second half, dug deep and fought back, going on a 13-2 run that ended in a 67-62 over The Master’s College on Tuesday.

Junior forward Jessilyn Conicelli posted her sixth double-double of the season, scoring 22 points and cleaning the glass for 14 rebounds, while connecting on 9 of 13 from the field in the game.

Senior center Christina Barclay also contributed to the Biola win by recording a double-double while also netting 12 points and snatching 11 boards.

Sophomore guard Charrise Reece filled the stat sheet in a myriad of ways: She added 12 points, five steals, two rebounds and two assists.

Biola got off to a quick lead in the first half then went cold from the field, allowing the Mustangs to work their way back into the game and going into the half only down two points.

The Master’s would come back and lead by seven with 7:31 left in the game, but would not hold the lead as the Eagles played lockdown, which forced three turnovers and only allowed the Mustangs to go 1-of-5 from the field over the final five minutes.

Junior forward Jennifer French ended the comeback threat of The Master’s by intercepting a pass with 10 seconds left on the clock as Biola secured the victory.

Biola returns to action on 5:30 p.m. Saturday, Jan. 23, traveling to Riverside to take on California Baptist University.