Women’s swim team takes forward strokes

Photo by Faith Martinez

Freshman Hannah Lawman rests during practice. Lawman was one of several new natinoal qualifiers for the women’s 200 breastroke.

The women’s swim team exited the pool even last Saturday, Nov. 3 at Pomona-Pitzer in Claremont. They split a dual meet, beating Cal State East Bay 150-51, but falling to Pomona-Pitzer 81-123.

Representing the Lady Eagles, freshmen Erika Johnson and April Smith blew everyone away with their impressive swimming performances.

Johnson and Smith took first place honors in two events. Johnson edged out her opponent Lizzie Aby of Pomona -Pitzer with a time of 11:17.62 in the 1,000 free, compared to Aby’s 11:17.67.

“I barely out-touched Aby in the 1,000, by just .05 seconds,” Johnson said. “All I wanted to do was try my best in the race, and I felt like all my hard work finally paid off.”

Johnson also placed first in the 500 freestyle, posting a time of 5:34.59. On the other hand, Smith captured wins in the 200 free and 200 breaststroke. In the 200 free she edged out Pomona swimmer Janelle Gyorffy (2:02.82) with a time of 2:00.27. In the 200 breaststroke Smith nabbed her second individual win posting a 2:29.94, while teammate freshman Hannah Lawman finished second with a time of 2:232.56.

Smith along with teammates senior Meghan Samsvick, senior Christina Piakak and junior Sarah Warkentin took first place in the 200 Medley Relay with a combined time of 1:55.96, blasting past all other relay teams they were competing against. Pomona-Pitzer relay team A rolled in with at time of 1:57.25 to take second place honors.

“It was really exciting to finish first in a close race,” Warkentin said, “We all worked hard to finish well.”

Prior to the meet some of the swimmers were worried about missed practices because of the conditions from the Southern California fires would affect their performances.

“I was a little concerned with our lack of practice due to the fires and the air quality,” Warkentin said, “but our swims at the meet did not reflect our less than normal practice time.”

Reduced practice did not show in the Haldman Pool, as the Eagle women posted a very successful weekend appearance overall. On the other hand, the men lost to Pomona in a single dual 148-61.

Even so, the men’s squad had a strong individual showing, nabbing six first-place finishes. Sophomore Ben Oviedo, sophomore Zach Perkins and freshman Paul Mendoza all took first place finishes in two events each.
Oviedo put up a stunning time of 2:02.88 in the 200 IM, blowing past the competition. Brian Borger of Pomona came in a far second with a time of 2:17.93. Oviedo also won the 200 backstroke event with 2:03.28.

Meanwhile, Perkins won both the 50 (22.22) and 100 (49.26) freestyle sprints. And teammate Mendoza took first in the 500 (4:55.86) and 1,000 (10:09.41) freestyle.

Catch more of the Eagles in action when they return to the pool on Dec. 8 for the University of La Verne Invitational.