Women’s cross country team, Brian Ball advance to nationals

After a strong showing by the women’s cross country team at last Saturday’s NAIA Region II Championship, they are invited to compete in the 2007 NAIA Cross Country Championship along with senior Brian Ball from the men’s team.

Biola’s women’s team, which was ranked No. 8 in the NAIA National Ratings, finished second in the GSAC Championship and third in the Regional Championship last Saturday, just one point behind second place Cal State San Marcos.

The women’s roster is filled with outstanding runners such as sophomore Kristin Schmidt who finished third overall at the regional championship. Also, freshman Katie Thede finished seventh, while senior Anna Thibodo took 18th place.

Freshman Katie Thede talked about her first year experience with the team.

“Running on the cross country team this year and being a part of a group that has accomplished so much has been such a great experience,” Thede said. “It really wasn’t something I thought I would be able to experience as a freshman.”

“Our coach [Zimmerman] has been telling us all season to think big and I’m just now realizing how much we can accomplish if we do it,” she added.

However, the men’s cross country team’s incredible season is over. With speculation that this year would be a rebuilding season for the men’s team, they finished 34th overall in the nation, a noteworthy finish.

After placing last in the GSAC race a year ago, the men’s team improved to finish eighth of 11 teams this year. Senior Brian Ball collected All-GSAC and All-Region honors by placing second in both playoff races. His strong individual performance has earned him a berth in the NAIA National Championship.

Ball takes the same strategy in preparing for nationals as for any other race.

“For the NAIA National Championship, I don’t look at this race at all differently than any other race,” Ball said. “My goal is to run as hard and as fast as I can for five miles to honor God with every stride I take on the national course.”

The humble Ball realizes the ministry opportunity provided by nationals.

“All nationals means is a better opportunity to praise God with the gifts He has blessed us with,” he said.

On November 17th, Brian Ball and the entire women’s cross country team look to prove their talents in the NAIA National Championships in Kenosha, Wisc.