Students box up holiday cheer with Operation Christmas Child

With the holiday season just around the corner, the spirit of giving has come in the form of Operation Christmas Child (OCC) to Biola students.

“Operation Christmas Child brings joy and hope to children in desperate situations around the world through gift-filled shoe boxes and the Good News of God’s love,” said the Samaritan’s Purse Web site.

Samaritan’s Purse is a Christian organization lead by CEO and President Franklin Graham, eldest son of Billy and Ruth Graham, providing international relief for over 35 years. Families and churches are asked to take part in Operation Christmas Child. By gathering shoe box gifts nationally, Samaritan’s Purse delivers presents to suffering children across the globe while evangelizing to the families and villages.

“It takes the focus out of you for the holidays and puts it on others,” junior Jennifer Iida said.

She described how easy it is to start shopping for herself during the holiday rush, but OCC really puts things back in perspective. Iida has been contributing to OCC for at least three years through her college group at church.

OCC “provides an opportunity for people of all ages to be involved in a simple, hands-on missions project that focuses on the true meaning of Christmas — Jesus Christ, God’s greatest gift,” said Samaritan’s Purse.

Churches like First Chinese Baptist Church of Los Angeles said they collected just under 600 boxes last year — their goal this year is to top that.

Senior Jamie Kruse helped make about 20 shoe-box gifts with seven other students from Rock Harbor’s life group this year. She described the activity of putting together the gift boxes as an excursion. Some of the members of the group called Payless Shoes to ask for shoe boxes. Others went to the 99 Cent Store to buy gifts to fill the boxes.

“Students chose [to use] money they would normally use for tithing,” Kruse said.

Kruse recalled helping out at an OCC warehouse that was filled with numerous stuffed animals, hygiene items and school supplies, all in their own specified spots. She also recalled how fun it was to talk and work with all of the other volunteers in the assembly line atmosphere.

“We don’t know where [the boxes are] going.” Kruse said. “but [we know] that it’s affecting the world,” Kruse said.

Putting together a shoe box can be an inexpensive and effective way for Biola students to evangelize to people all around the world while staying in La Mirada. Most of the children receiving shoe-box gifts suffer from poverty, sickness, war or even natural disaster.

The first step is to get an empty shoe or plastic box to house your gift.

Next, using the label from the Samaritan’s Purse Web site, check off the age range and gender of the intended recipient. Tape the label on top where it is visibly seen.

Then fill the box with love. Some gift ideas from the link above include toy cars, stuffed animals, toothbrush and toothpaste, soap, school supplies or canned foods and sealed goodies. Don’t include used or damaged items. Also, don’t include toys like guns, knives or military figures. To be safe, stay away from perishable foods or things sensitive to altitude or travel (lotion, aerosol cans, etc.). Don’t hesitate to write to the child you want to send a gift to. An attached note with contact information or a picture would make it much more personable, plus the child may even write back.

Make sure you include a $7 donation to help cover the shipping and production costs. Checks can be made out to Samaritan’s Purse with OCC in the memo line. You can also pay online using OCC’s “easy give” service. The donations are vital to the operation.

Finish the box off by placing a rubber band around it and delivering it to the closest drop off center. For Biola students, Imperial Convalescent Hospital is the closest drop-off center. It is located at 11926 S. La Mirada Boulevard, and is open Monday through Sunday from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. The hospital can be reached by phone at (800) 643-4667.

National collection week is Nov. 12-19. For additional drop off locations, please visit the drop-off location page on the OCC Web site.

If making a shoe box gift costs too much, OCC requests prayer support.