Carnival, MercyMe rock Biola Fest

Jeff Blied gets a pie in the face in an effort to raise money for a missions trip to Romania.

On Saturday, Nov. 3, hundreds turned out to Biola Fest 2007: A Homecoming Revival. This event served to celebrate the newly inaugurated president, Dr. Barry Corey, as well as Biola’s 100th anniversary.

Though the event was free, those who came were encouraged to donate a pair of new shoes to the Union Rescue Mission, an organization which helps the homeless of Los Angeles and was begun by Biola co-founder Lyman Stewart.

Biola Fest offered a lunch of fried chicken and all the fixings, and attendees ate at tables covered with red-and-white checkered tablecloths and vibrant sunflower arrangements.

The Alumni Relations department set up a decade walk in front of the library. Each booth showcased pictures and memorabilia that depicted what life was like during the ten decades that Biola has existed. This portion of the event also served as a meeting place for alumni. Sue Kimber, an Alumni Relations staff member and hostess of the 1950s booth said she had witnessed, “many old friendships reconnect” at the decade walk.

Earl Adams, who graduated from Biola in 1947, made a visit to the booth of his decade and was a little surprised.

“They put us with all the old people,” said Adams of his class being part of the 1908-1940s booth.

Adams also said he was pleased with how Biola has developed over the years.

“It’s grown for the better. It’s a very solid institution,” said Adams.

Between Rose Hall and the art gallery the Student Missionary Union (SMU) hosted a small carnival to benefit upcoming missions trips. Things like cotton candy, snow cones, rickshaw rides and games of basketball toss were available for a small donation.

Perhaps the most popular booth of the day was that of Team Romania, which offered a chance to throw a pie in the face of junior Jeff Blied. It was clear by the amount of custard on Blied’s face that many people had enjoyed the Romania booth.

Lori Way said she and her husband, who is a professor at Talbot, came to Biolafest because “we thought it would be a good thing to bring the kids to. We hope that they will grow up connected to the campus.”

Of all the events, Way said her children had the most fun at the SMU carnival.

Frankie Atonya, a sophomore, said he attended the event because he had heard so much about the musicians who would be performing.

“I put my curiosity into action,” said Atonya of his decision to attend the event.

Indeed, several musical groups came to perform at Biola Fest including Biola’s own band, Parachute Passing. Also present were the King’s Men a capella group, an energetic gospel group, the two-man band Monk and Neagle, Christian recording artist Aaron Shust and the Grammy-nominated band MercyMe.

MercyMe took to the stage at approximately 3 p.m. and played for just over an hour. A crowd gathered on Metzger Lawn to listen to the band famous for the song “I Can Only Imagine.” At one point, lead singer Bart Millard led the audience in two a capella verses of “Amazing Grace.” Millard told the audience that he puts on concerts not so that people can hear him, but so that he can hear people worshipping the Lord.

As a means to capture this special moment in Biola’s history, Dr. Corey introduced a time capsule which will be filled with items and notes from the Biola community and buried under the forthcoming Talbot complex. A note about the time capsule will be made in the historical records so that in 2107, Biolans will be able uncover the capsule and see what their school looked like way back in 2007 when the eighth president took office.