Crime Log ― Oct. 24 – Oct. 29

This week’s crime log featured one case of vandalism, some petty thefts, some trespassing incidents and more.

Micah Kim, News Editor

Vandalism ― Horton Hall

Reported Oct. 25, 10:37 a.m, occurred sometime prior to 10:37 a.m.

Facilities Management reported writing on the wall of Horton’s public bathroom. This case is still active.

Trespassing — Lot E

Reported on Oct. 26, 5:55 a.m.

A Campus Safety officer reported and made contact with a male transient individual at the parking lot behind the library parking lot. The suspect refused to speak with the officers and left campus. 

Trespassing — Lot D

Reported on Oct. 26, 1:51 p.m. 

A student reported an individual using a stick to enter the pedestrian gate by the Business building. Though the officers tried to make contact with the individual, the individual did not stop and was eventually escorted off campus. This case was cleared by exception.

Petty Theft — Hope Hall

Reported on Oct. 27, 7:50 p.m., occurred between Oct. 21, 12 p.m. and Oct. 24, 10 p.m.

A student reported their stolen personal items left on the first floor restroom of Hope Hall. While the case was active in investigation, the student did not wish to make further reports with the Los Angeles Sheriff’s Department

Petty Theft — Pool Area

Reported on Oct. 28, 9:20 a.m. 

A student reported an unlocked bike stolen by the bike racks next to the pool area. While the case was active, the student declined to make further reports with the LASD.

Petty Theft — Lot D

Reported on Oct. 29, 4:37 p.m.

A student reported a non-student individual taking the bicycle from the Talon bike racks. The suspect left prior to the officer’s arrival, making it difficult to identify the individual. While the case is active, the victim has still not been identified. 

Trespassing — Facilities Management

Reported on Oct. 29, 5:33 a.m.

A Facilities Management worker reported one female and one male individual trespassing the facilities’ territory and attempting to access the locked facilities building. Officers responded but were not able to make contact with the suspects. This case was referred to the LASD.  

Burglary — Horton Hall

Reported on Oct. 29, 5:33 a.m. 

Officers attempted to make contact with a female suspect trying to leave campus. After the suspect left campus, Campus Safety concluded that video footage showed the female suspect entering through a window of Horton Hall and stealing items she was not holding onto when entering. The footage also showed a male suspect passing by Horton and leaving campus through the horse trail next to the creek. After clarifying the situation as a burglary at 6:46 a.m., video evidence showed that the two suspects were the individuals who trespassed through Facilities Management at 5:33 a.m. Here are the descriptions of the two suspects from Campus Safety’s alert email: 

Suspect 1 is described as a white female in her mid 20’s, with an average build and long black hair. She was wearing a black Champion-branded windbreaker, grey shirt with lattice front, jeans, black and white Vans shoes and carrying a white canvas bag with Cookie Monster on the side.”

Suspect 2 is described as a Hispanic male in his late 30’s to early 40’s, with an average build and thinning dark hair. He was wearing a black visor, beige jacket, black hooded sweatshirt, jeans and blue and white tennis shoes with red stripes on the side.”

The case has been referred to the LASD. 

Fire-Mechanical Cause — Eagles’ Nest

Reported on Oct. 29, 12:08 p.m.

An Eagles’ Nest employee reported black smoke coming out of an oven in the kitchen. No actual fire was present. The case was resolved by turning the oven off.