Health Center’s got your back (and the rest of you too)

The Health Center staff is professional and very caring.

Kristi Peterson, Writer

Are you a patient who doesn’t like your doctor? Do you hesitate to make an appointment when you are sick just because you don’t want to deal with the staff in the office or the trouble of going to the doctor in the first place? If so, I can tell you that you are not alone. I came to Biola from Northern California, where I loved my doctor –– I was searching for a doctor and office here that I liked. Well Biola, you are in luck. I have found, through my own experience and testing, the greatest doctor and staff around. Lucky for you, all you have to do is walk on campus to see for yourself

Last year, I was going through some difficulties with my allergies. I was praying for people to help me through my time of sickness while my parents were hundreds of miles away from me. That’s when I came to the Health Center on Biola’s campus.

Upon entering, you are warmly greeted by the two lovely ladies behind the desk, Amy Dry and April Grinder, who warmly welcome you to the office and take care of any scheduling or paperwork you may have. These women are kind, genuine and have a positive attitude, which is always welcomed when you’re feeling sick. If these ladies are unable to help you, the office manager and insurance coordinator is very sweet and helpful and will work with you to make sure your visit is taken care of properly.

One of the nurses will then bring you back to a room and start the initial visit. I have met and dealt with many nurses in my days, and I have never met better nurses than the ones at Biola University. I have personally been helped by Kristin Phelps, Lisa Sadler, Claire Warfel and Cathy Goodlink and each one of these women puts their heart and soul into their work. They truly care about your well being and health and will do whatever it takes to make sure you are taken care of and comfortable. These women will pray with you, do whatever they can to understand your situation and help the doctor find ways to best take care of you.

And lastly, you meet the wonderful Dr. Tamra Hocking, the doctor that will care for you. Every experience that I have had with Dr. Hocking has been nothing but pleasant and beneficial to my health. She is a woman who puts everything she has into her profession and will do whatever it takes to take care of you. She has a heart of gold and it shows in each visit to the Health Center. She sympathizes with you and tries to see eye to eye with you so she can better understand what you’re going through. She will not only help you with your physical body, but she will pray with you and for you and she asks for a follow up because she cares about you.

If you ever have an emergency where you need immediate assistance and the Health Center is closed, there is an EMT on staff Monday-Friday night. Matthew Long is the Biola EMT, and he is yet another staff member that has a heart for his job. He is ready to help you in any situation you are in, and he will also be right there praying with you during your struggles.

“The mission of Student Health Services is to glorify God by providing holistic health care in a competent, compassionate manner with Biblical principles of excellence, integrity, honesty, accountability and love. We are committed to empower and educate students to achieve wellness of body, mind and spirit through self-care, medical intervention, spiritual challenge and a nurturing environment.” These are the words written on the Health Care website and they stick true to them. I can say, from personal experience, that this is the finest medical staff you can find and you should take advantage of it while you’re here at Biola. Not only are they here to take care of you, they’re here to be your friends.

The Health Center is open Monday-Friday, 8 a.m. – 5 p.m., and the EMT is on call Monday, Wednesday, Thursday and Friday from 5 p.m. – 1 a.m., and Tuesday’s from 10 p.m. – 6 a.m. You can make an appointment by going into their office or calling (562) 903-4841.