Baseball tallies runs

The men’s baseball team won three of their four games this week while hitting a combined 46 runs.

Senior Paul Slater running home during a game against Bethesda University this season. | Melanie Kim/THE CHIMES [file photo]

Jack Finck, Writer

The Eagles won a series two games to one against Arizona Christian University starting on April 10 and beat California State University-San Marcos in a single game series on April 14.

Arizona Christian got off to an early start in the first game, earning two runs in the bottom of the first inning. Biola quickly answered with three runs of their own in the second thanks to RBI singles by junior catcher Eugene Shin, senior outfielder Rob Groeschell and a walk by senior shortstop Tanner Swire. The teams continued to exchange runs until after nine innings when the score was tied 4-4. Shin won the game for the Eagles in the tenth inning with an RBI single. Biola won the first game 5-4.

The Eagles crossed home plate 22 times in the second game while limiting the Firestorm to one run. Swire led the team with five RBIs in the game, followed by junior third baseman Julian Jarrard who earned four.

Sophomore right handed pitcher Jimmy Gallarda earned a win for his six innings on the mound for Biola. Gallarda faced 22 batters and only allowed four hits and one run.

Biola’s only loss of the week came in the third game against the Firestorm. ACU earned seven runs early that went unanswered until the sixth inning when senior outfielder Paul Slater drove in a run followed by a two run home run by Jarrard. Biola lost 3-7.

The Eagles traveled to San Marcos to play the Cougars for the second time this season. Biola started the game with a 6-0 run in the first two innings thanks in part to an RBI single by sophomore outfielder Jeremy Barth and a RBI triple by Gallarda. The Cougars answered with a nine run scoring streak of their own. After four innings, the game was tied 9-9. Biola outscored San Marcos 7-1 in the remaining innings to win the game 16-10.

Gallarda leads the team with a season batting average of .352 while Jarrard has the most hits with 49 and 12 home runs. Freshman right handed pitcher Daniel Jang leads the pitchers with a 3-4 record and 3.26 ERA. The Biola baseball team is currently on a hitting streak, averaging 11.5 runs in each of their last four games.  

The team currently holds a season record of 18-27 while being 12-24 in conference. They sit fifth in the Golden State Athletic Conference. Biola’s next series is against San Diego Christian College at home on April 17. The Hawks won two of the three games of the series when they played the Eagles earlier this year.