Sewanee sweeps the Eagles

The women’s tennis team loses to Sewanee: The University of the South on March 17 by a score of 0-9.

Junior Lauren Vogel swipes the ball across the net to her California Institute of Technology opponent last season. The women’s tennis team loses to Sewanee: The University of the South on March 17 by a score of 0-9. | Ashleigh Fox/THE CHIMES

Jack Finck, Writer

The Biola women’s tennis team failed to earn their first back-to-back win of the season on March 17 against Sewanee: The University of the South. The Eagles did not win a set against the Tigers in their 0-9 loss.

The closest match was played between the third doubles team for Biola. Senior Lauren Vogel and freshman Brooke Sanford earned four games off of their opponents, resulting in a final score of 4-8. The Tigers secured first doubles by a score of 8-0 and second doubles with a score of 8-1. Biola entered singles down 0-3.

Singles proved to be more of the same for Biola as no player earned more than two games in their respective match. Junior Kathryn Ashford won two games against her opponent in the first set, but failed secure a game in the second.

Sophomore Madeline Heer received the second best score for Biola, earning a game in each set. Heer lost her match 1-6, 1-6.

Biola currently holds a season record of 2-9. Their next match is against Colorado Christian University at home on March 19. The Cougars currently hold a season record of 3-8.