Biola suffers loss to Sewanee

The Eagles suffered an 0-9 loss against Sewanee: The University of the South on March 17.

Senior Lauren Vogel taking hits the ball during the game on March 17. The Eagles suffered an 0-9 loss against Sewanee: The University of the South. | Marissa Osswald/THE CHIMES

Jack Finck, Writer

Biola women’s tennis failed to earn their first back-to-back win of the season as they lost to Sewanee: The University of the South on March 17. Biola struggled throughout the match, losing with a final score of 0-9.

The Eagles got swept in doubles, with the closest match coming from the bottom team. Senior Lauren Vogel and freshman Brooke Sanford earned four games off of their opponents, resulting in a final score of 4-8. The Tigers secured first doubles by a score of 8-0 and second doubles with a score of 8-1.

Junior Kathryn Ashford earned two games off of her opponent in the first set, but failed to win a game in the second. The only other singles player to earn two games in the match was sophomore Madeline Heer at second singles. Heer earned one game in each match, resulting in match score of 1-6, 1-6.

“They just played really smart,” said sophomore Kelsey Post. “They knew how to adapt really well. We were playing well with them I think, at least Maddy [Heer] and I in doubles and me in my singles, but then they just adapted well to our play.”

Biola now holds a season record of 2-9, with only one conference win against Hope International University earlier this season. Their next match is against Colorado Christian University at home on March 19. The Cougars currently hold a season record of 3-8.

“[We’ll] Just come out with a good attitude,” Post said, “And play hard, and play our best and do what we can.”