Sweep or be swept

The Biola softball team competed in two doubleheaders this week, beating La Sierra University twice on Feb. 20, but losing to Vanguard University twice on Feb. 24.

Freshman Terri Van Dagens setting up her pitch during the softball game on Feb. 17. | Molli Kaptein/THE CHIMES

Jack Finck, Writer

The Biola softball team went 2-2 this week as they swept La Sierra University in a doubleheader on Feb. 20, and got swept by Vanguard University on Feb. 24.

Biola won their first against La Sierra by a score of 11-2. An RBI single by senior second baseman Ashley Spadt in the second inning started the runs for the Eagles. Sophomore outfielder Kasey Hormel followed with a clutch two out triple down the right field line, scoring two more runs. A combination of consistent hitting and errors by the other team led to a victory for Biola.

The Eagles maintained their intensity in the second game they played against La Sierra. Junior utility player Iliana Morales drove in two runs off of her double down the left field line. Biola held their 2-0 lead until they were able to build on it in the fourth inning thanks to senior outfielder Brooke Madrid and junior third baseman Heather Hall who each brought home a run. The Eagles kept their foot on the throttle as they finished the game winning 7-1.

STRONG DEFENSE IS KEY

The Lions traveled to Biola on Feb. 24 for the first time these teams have played each other this season. Vanguard struck first, hitting a solo home run in the top of the second. Freshman utility player Anjie Amezquita answered with a home run of her own in Biola’s next at bat.

“I think I was just looking to drive it hard,” said Amezquita. “Just looking to hit a hard line drive and it worked out.”

The game remained tied until a triple followed by a sacrifice fly scored two more runs for the Lions. Solid defense by both teams resulted in a final score of 1-3.  

Biola scored early trying to bounce back in the second game. Freshman first baseman Selina Sherlin brought Madrid home on a single. The Lions answered with two runs in the second inning and another in the fourth. Hall tried to rally the Eagles by sliding into home on a wild pitch, bringing the score to 2-3. After three scoreless innings, the game finished with Biola down one.

“Our defense has always been so strong,” said Spadt. “That’s something that [head coach] Lorie [Coleman] has nailed into our heads since the day that I got here. The keys to winning games are good pitching, good hitting and good defense. Unfortunately, we only had one of those things today, so that’s why we lost, but because we had one of those things we were able to stay in there.”  

The Eagles currently hold a season record of 10-6 and will have another chance against the Lions in the last two games of the regular season. Their next game is against the Embry-Riddle Aeronautical University on Feb. 27. Biola beat Embry-Riddle twice earlier this season.