Pushing the limit: The Ghetto Blaster$ take LA by storm

The Ghetto Blaster$, a three-piece band originally formed at Biola, continues to expand and impress audiences.

Robert Rodriguez, Connor De La Vega, and Marika Dahlin of Ghetto Blaster$ rock out on stage. | Photo courtesy of Michelle Mosqueda

Sam De La Vega, Writer

Robert Rodriguez, Connor De La Vega, and Marika Dahlin of The Ghetto Blaster$ rock out on stage. | Photo courtesy of Michelle Mosqueda

When it comes to up and coming experimental hip hop groups, Biola isn’t the first place to come to mind. The Ghetto Blaster$ are here to change that.

The Ghetto Blaster$ are a three-piece band made up of Biola students Marika Dahlin, Connor and producer and rapper Robert Rodriguez. The band started in early 2013 through messing around in Biola’s production center. Not too long after, they played their first show at Whittier College in May 2013. After getting a surprisingly positive crowd response, they continued to play show after show, over time building up their fan base.

AN ELECTRIC STAGE PRESENCE

The Blasters continually impress crowds everywhere with their raucous stage presence, and DIY punk rock mentality.

“There is something powerful about vulnerability during a performance to really connect with your audience.” Rodriguez said.

The Blaster$ played at Buskerfest, a free music festival in Long Beach, California on Sept. 6. Other than an older gentlemen covering his ears, Rodriguez said he thought the crowd really enjoyed the show. The Blaster$ played with passion and energy, the crowd responded with equal passion and energy. Their performance was powerful and wild, making it impossible not to move along with the music and getting lost in it.

“We want them to be so unique that it bothers people, but is engaging at the same time,” Rodriguez said.

PLANS FOR FUTURE GROWTH

The Blaster$ have big plans for the future. The group plans to record their first four-song EP at the end of October. The EP recording is taking place in Long Beach, California in the home studio of producer Matt Wignall, best known for recording and producing Cold War Kid’s hit single ‘Hang Me Up To Dry.’ With his professional production, their debut EP is bound to be a great listen full of dark synths, heavy bass and “grungy” vocals. Lyrically, the EP will sound very satirical, commenting on mainstream society, Rodriguez said. Musically, the EP will mix hardcore punk and hip hop, commonly called industrial rap or noise rap.

Rodriguez explained The industrial hip-hop group, Death Grips inspires the aggression and production of the EP.

“Death Grips is the most influential band of the decade…they are always finding new ways to push the limit,” Rodriguez said.

Similar to Death Grips, The Ghetto Blaster$ continually push the boundaries of the hip hop genre. Their punk rock mentality makes them truly stand out above the rest. According to Rodriguez, the EP “is a love letter to the weirdos.” If you are a weirdo, look out for this truly one-of-a-kind release, from a truly one-of-a-kind band.