Get productive this summer

Ashley Evaro encourages students to use summer break as an opportunity to accomplish projects.

Ashley Evaro is a freelance writer for the Opinions section. | Natalie Lockard/THE CHIMES

Ashley Evaro, Writer

It’s that time of year again! The school year is coming to a close and we are all anticipating the freedom summer break brings. Even if you are expecting to have a job or internship this summer, I’m sure you will find yourself with some amount of spare time that you might have used previously for studying, reading or rushing off to class. Though you may want to use this extra time to rest, I would encourage you to put some of it toward a project.

DON'T LET REST TURN TO SLOTH

Yes, rest is important. But I know from personal experience that the necessity for rest easily turns into an excuse for sloth. Being intentional about accomplishing a summer project will prevent you from slipping into habitual idleness. This project could include taking on a new hobby, learning a foreign language or acquiring an interesting skill. As humans, we were made to be industrious. It is in our nature to be fulfilled by the work that we do. Additionally, when you are productive over the summer, you set yourself up for a successful school year. It is really difficult to get out of the laziness rut. The more productive you are over the summer, the easier it will be for you to transition into a busy school year — even if your project is comprised of arts and crafts.

With a little time and effort, you can accomplish quite a bit over summer. The key, however, is to begin planning your project now. You can learn how to bake, juggle, grow a bonsai tree or rock climb. In my opinion, the zanier and more unique the skills are, the better. Pick one or more of the feasible projects on your list, but limit yourself to three so that you don’t overwhelm yourself with unrealistic expectations. Then, take a pen and paper and actually write your projects down twice. Keep one list for yourself and give another to a friend. Tell your friend to ask you about your summer projects when you get back from the break. Hopefully, having a tangible list and a friend to keep you accountable will be motivators as you pursue your projects this summer.

BEGIN PROJECT PLANNING

Go ahead and begin your project planning! This should give you a solid setup for a productive summer. As you are planning, remember to be creative and have fun with it. Look forward to a summer that you can look back on with a sense of accomplishment!