Don’t be a church freeloader

Anders Corey urges students to stop attending church on autopilot and to start investing.

Anders Corey | Olivia Blinn/THE CHIMES

Anders Corey, Writer

I feel like I’m beating a dead horse, but we have to get this.

One of the best parts about being a Christian is having the weekly routine of walking into church and fellowshipping with other believers. Every week I walk into church and sit within a mix of elderly couples, young families and a large group of Biola students. More and more Biola students have started coming to the church I attend over the last few years, and it has been great worshiping alongside those I study with as well.

THE "LUNCH SURGE" 

Although I love worshiping with my friends and classmates, I grow frustrated while watching what I call the “lunch surge.” Most parishioners, Biola students included, crowd the exits as if the building were on fire. There is no meandering to talk to those we worship around. Instead we operate from a consumerist mentality: show up, get the message and get to lunch.

If we are barely stopping to talk to those we worship around, it goes without question that we are not stopping to sign up to serve in some capacity. This semester I have two classes with Erik Thoennes — I know that’s a lot of intense lectures for one term and I probably should have spaced it out — and he has emphasized being active in the local church.

“Be involved so that when you don’t show up, people will notice and something doesn’t get done," is something I have heard Thoennes say time and time again and it has stuck with me this semester.

UNNOTICED ABSENCE

The impression I get is that if most Biola students didn’t show up for church, the only thing that would happen is there would be a few empty seats.

Every week we are poured into by professors and faculty who want us to grow and learn, not for only our own sake, but to pour out. We should not just absorb like a sponge, but take what we’ve received and give it back.

Mickey Klink spoke to this directly during Missions Conference, and I fear we have already slipped back into autopilot mode.

MEETING THE NEED 

Every week after the 9:30 a.m. service I trek upstairs to hang out with my favorite fourth grade boys. Most weeks I’m tired, hungry and have way too much homework to get done. But teaching Sunday School is something I’ve committed to, and I know that if I don’t show up, something doesn’t get done. I’ve seen what happens when other teachers don’t show up — the opportunity to effectively reach the kids is weakened.

In all of our churches there is never a lack of space to serve or a surplus of volunteers. We’ve got to stop thinking about the church as a place to fill ourselves up. Yes, we should be filled in the church, but we also need to take an active part in filling others up. We are getting more biblical training than most of the world ever has: We can’t selfishly waste it.

There will always be a need for ushers, traffic directors, greeters and children’s workers. You think life is too busy now to serve? It’s only going to get busier, and if we don’t set the precedent now, it will only get more difficult to commit to later.