Women’s basketball season crashes to an end against Vanguard

Lions ride huge second half to blow out Eagles in GSAC semifinals 78-55.

Alexandra Campos, Writer

The Biola women's basketball closed out their season with a 78-55 loss over No. 8 Vanguard in the Golden State Athletic Conference Semifinals on Friday night in Costa Mesa. The loss brought te Eagles' overall record to 16-17. The Lions improve to a 22-3 record and move on to the GSAC tournament finals against Westmont College.

The Eagles started off the game strong. Freshman Aubree Mittel drained a 3-pointer in the first minute to give the Eagles a one-point edge. Vanguard quickly responded with a layup that put them in the lead. Although the Eagles stayed close, the Lions would enter the half with a nine-point lead.

Biola started their second half much like the first, this time with a 3-point shot by Chapman. Vanguard however, outscored the Eagles within the next four minutes with a 12-4 run to put them back at a comfortable lead. Vanguard managed to lead the Eagles by as many as 22 points with eight minutes left to play. Vanguard's dominance continued throughout the rest of the game as they managed an 18-4 run to end the game.

Mittel and fellow freshman Abby Chapman led the Eagles in points with 12 and 11 points, respectively. Senior Rebecca Devere chipped in 10 points and six assists while All-GSAC Adijat Adams contributed nine points and 11 rebounds.

Vanguard was able to knock down 95 percent of their free throws and out-rebounded the Eagles 39-26. The Eagles were forced 21 turnovers and shot only 37 percent on the field.