After rescheduling, Christmas tree lighting brings together alumni and students

The annual event brought together students, faculty and alumni on a chilly Monday night.

OLIVIA BLINN

Senior Tenielle Schroeder, sophomore Rebekah Schlick, and junior Holly Emerson share a laugh underneath the freshly fallen fake snow. | Olivia Blinn/THE CHIMES

Rachelle Cihonski, Writer

Little children weren’t the only ones squealing with delight as part of Biola’s campus was showered with white foam at the annual Biola Christmas Tree Lighting. As the snow fell and the band played a favorite and humorously appropriate Christmas carol, “Let It Snow,” students clamored to take pictures grinning and covered in the white fluff.

Alumni return for annual event

Faculty, students, parents and alumni rang in the Christmas season at the annual lighting of the Biola Christmas tree on Monday night. While rain had deterred the tree lighting, originally planned for Friday, it did not keep proud, nostalgic alumni from returning for the holiday tradition postponed three days.

Leroy McBee (’70), a resident of Brea, came out for the tree lighting for a second time since graduating from Biola. Accompanying him were his wife and fellow Biola graduate, Pam (’71) and a few young girls they are mentoring. McBee used the tree lighting as an opportunity to show the girls around campus and expose them to the Christian community here at Biola.

“It’s a great place, the Christmas tree lighting, because it’s all Christian songs and it really gets you in the mood for Christmas and celebrating the true meaning,” Pam McBee said.

Joe (’07) and Hayley (‘07) Gallucci, Biola alumni who live in Laguna Hills, have returned each year since graduating to celebrate the onset of Christmas with the Biola tree lighting. This year, they brought along their two children. When asked how he has seen the tree lighting change over the years, Joe Gallucci laughed and said he didn’t remember there being as much snow.

“We love Biola, and it’s the place where we met, and we have a lot of wonderful memories here,” Hayley Gallucci said. “So we come back once a year to Biola, and this is just a good time to come, and visit all the fun spots and remember everything.”

For the first time since graduating, Javier Tayos (’03), who majored in biblical studies, attended the tree lighting with his expectant wife. While the Tayos’ live in Norwalk, Javier’s new job is bringing him closer to his alma mater, and he said it is great to be moving back into town and closer to Biola. Tayos’ wife, who is not a graduate of Biola, attended the Biola tree lighting for her first time.

“I just wanted to be part of the tradition,” Javier Tayos said. “It’s just being back on campus and just being able to worship the Lord in the midst of everything that’s around you is just special to me. And I wanted to bring my wife and our baby that’s in there, so she could come join the celebration.” 

Students enjoy meaningful campus tradition

While Biola alumni enjoyed their return to campus and celebrated with family, students rang in the holiday season with friends.
Kyla Whittenberg, a junior intercultural studies major, has attended every Christmas tree lighting since her freshman year.

“I love Christmas,” Whittenberg said. “I really like the Biola community coming together and singing Christmas songs … the King’s Men were so good opening, they were probably my favorite.”

Senior political science major Ann Marie Cortez said that while she has only attended the Christmas tree lighting two of the four years she’s been at Biola, it is still a meaningful celebration for her.

“This season is just really important to me,” Cortez said. “Christmas time is part of what brought me to Christ, so just preparing my heart for that, I feel like the Christmas tree lighting is at a good time to help us prepare our hearts for that in the midst of a really busy semester.”