Audience votes V3 Dance winners for Punk ‘n’ Pie 2012

Parents, students and alumni vote for favorite in annual talent show.

Emily Arnold/THE CHIMES

Elizabeth Sallie and Julia Henning

Senior Lauren Bailey sings a jazzy "Benny and the Jets." | Emily Arnold/THE CHIMES

Correction: The prize money was incorrectly identified as $400 for second place and $300 for third place. The correct amounts were $300 for second place and $200 for third place. The Chimes regrets this error.

This year at Punk ‘n’ Pie, the votes reflected the applause.

The acts that commanded the greatest applause included senior Matt Beckwith with playing classical guitar, Irish Dancers, Jonatello’s act that paired magic with mime and V3. The Irish dancers went on to win third place and $200, while Jonatello won second place and a $300 prize and V3 took home the $500 first place prize and lunch with president Barry Corey.

“There was so much talent but I love the fact that [V3] had a message that went along with their act,” Susie Johnson, alumna of the class of 1982, said.

The doors opened at 7:20 p.m., and those who could not get inside Chase Gymnasium to see the acts had the opportunity to watch the live feed by the mailboxes and Fireplace Pavilion in the outdoor air with drinks. 

Inside, the stage stood in two halves with railings and a gap dividing the two parts. Scarecrows, picket fence segments and fall leaves around the stage gave the area around the stage a distinctive fall atmosphere. Rick Bee, senior director of the Alumni and Friends Development, opened the evening, where alumni and parents were present for the first time. Twins Michael and Thomas Mauriello, both senior art majors, were student hosts at the event.

Musical acts that took the stage

The top songs of the night were “What Makes You Beautiful,” covered by both 2Direction and Men of Honor. Men of Honor and a band led by D.J. Kim sang the relatively new Korean pop hit, “Gangnam Style.”

Sophomores Rebecca Nakashima and Rebekah Holden shared witty anecdotes and explained the different paths Biola relationships can take, using pop songs such as Taylor Swift’s most recent “We Are Never Getting Back Together” and the classic “You Can’t Hurry Love.”

Senior Lauren Bailey sang a jazzy rendition of “Bennie and the Jets” with her backup band.

Sky Dickinson led Blue and the Ivies in Beyoncé and Destiny's Child throwbacks with a full band containing trumpets, drums and keyboards.

Hau Fun, featuring Sarah Hau, engaged the audience with their cover of Fun.’s “Some Nights,” starting with just Hau and her band. As the first chorus began, a rainbow-clad choir emerged from the sides to take their place on risers.

Dance Groups

Horton Hall floor Men of Honor’s performance began their act with a rendition of the four-chord act, where they used only four chords to play a plethora of songs. This act turned into a dance-off and group-choreographed mash up of "Waka Waka (This TIme for Africa)" and "Gangnam Style."

Irish Dancers stole the audience’s hearts, so much so that they were the second place winners, taking home $300.

Those watching Punk ‘n’ Pie whipped out their cell phones and cameras to record the always-popular Xopoc dance crew.

V3’s bass shook the gym while sophomores Eddie Moon, David Hong, Eunice Hong, Irene Park, Andy Chung, and 2012 alumni Calvin Yang, Tony Hang and Jackie Tsuruya danced their way to first place, taking home the $500 check.

“It feels great considering its our first real competition. Everyone is excited and pumped up for the next competition,” Hong said.

Other performers

Beckwith’s fingers flew across his guitar as he picked, plucked, tapped and strummed in a way that evoked an enthusiastic response from the crowd.

Jonatello — who the Mauriello brothers said is an acclaimed street performer in Santa Monica and Europe — entertained the audience with paper, floating cloths and drawing illusions.

Senior Richie Gowin — impersonating Corey — whipped out a reference to the hiptionary and infamous Corey quotes such as “in-tents” and saying things in order to prod the band to play “something spiritual.”

“Some say Disneyland is the happiest place on earth, but I think it’s the second. Welcome to Biola,” Gowin said as if he were Corey.

Gowin's mother, Teresa, was visiting for parents weekend.

“I saved my battery so I could vote,” Gowin said.

Voting

The audience had the opportunity to text in their vote. The acts were listed on the screen with footage from the dress rehearsal. The MCs had the results of the text voting within minutes of opening it up.

Sophomore business major Mike Chriss liked the new voting system.

“I thought the voting system was great. Power to the people,” he said.

Reactions

This was the first time parents and alumni and parents have had the opportunity to watch Punk ‘n’ Pie.

“It was fun," Susie Johnson said. "I was surprised at how many different types of acts there were. I love to see the talents and the personalities of the kids come through."

She and her husband are both parents and alumni.

“I first heard about this probably seven years ago," said Rick Johnson, class of 1984. "I thought it was a fantastic idea. I was sad I wouldn’t see it, but to see it here was great. I loved it … I thought it was very well done. I loved the text-in voting."

Bee also closed the evening.

“I loved it. We were so excited to partner with Associated Students to sponsor it and we look forward to growing it every year now and just making it a regular thing that alumni come back for,” Bee said.

Kearney announced

The Mauriello twins also announced a 24-hour rush for Mat Kearney tickets that began at 9 p.m. on Friday night. During this time, tickets are only $10. After this 24-hour period, tickets will be on sale for $15.