Women’s soccer upsets Concordia

Freshman Amanda Otto scored an 82nd minute goal to top GSAC rival Concordia University on Saturday.

The Biola women's soccer team upset No. 14 Concordia University 2-1 in a tight match on Saturday afternoon in Irvine.

Concordia opened the scoring in the 33rd minute of the game with a header from the goal line. It was a 1-0 game at half with Concordia, leading not only in goals but in shots on goal.

Concordia maintained possession and the lead 10 minutes into the second half until a foul inside the box was called. Senior Ashleigh Cooley stepped up to take the penalty kick and landed a goal in the bottom right of the net, tying the game at 1-1.

Freshman Amanda Otto scored her first goal of the season in the 82nd minute to break the tie. Otto took a pass from freshman Cameron Smith and sophomore Michelle Clark and netted the ball in from close range. Biola was outshot 11-7 but freshman goalie Marina Rodriguez managed a total of six crucial saves throughout the match.

Biola improves to an overall record of 4-4-1 while Concordia ends their four-game winning streak, and drops their record to 6-3-0.

The Eagles return home for another Golden State Athletic Conference match against Arizona Christian University, a new team to the conference, on Oct. 3 at 4:30 p.m