Women’s basketball cruises to win over Concordia, falls to No. 6 Westmont

The women’s basketball team won against Concordia University and lost against Westmont College this week.

Alexandra Campos, Writer

The Biola women’s basketball team defeated Concordia University 66-56 on Saturday, Feb. 4, but fell to Westmont College 78-47 on Tuesday, Feb. 7. The Eagles now have an overall record of 14-9 and a 6-7 record in the Golden State Athletic Conference.

Eagles shoot past Concordia with strong second half

On Saturday night, Biola secured their second win against Concordia University with an excellent second half. Concordia was able to keep the game close, playing a strong first half, but it was Biola’s 46.2 field goal percentage that helped win the game.

Although the Eagles’ offense allowed 23 turnovers throughout the game, senior Emily Drews led the Eagles with 14 points, and four other players reached double figures as well. Senior Lauren Gustafson contributed 12 points, sophomore Adijat Adams and senior Charrise Reece each gave 11, and freshman Chelsea Hill had 10.

“Offensively we used our strengths and we were consistent,” Drews said. “Our strengths would be executing our offenses and locating our best scorers.”

Biola maintained a constant lead the entire second half and won the game by 10 points.

Warrior defense stifles Eagles

In the game against Westmont, one stingy defensive stretch was enough to carry the Warriors past the Eagles. Although the Eagles had patches of strong play during the game, the Warriors sprinted out to a 60-29 lead with 13:26 left in the game. Biola’s field goal percentage dropped from 48 in the first half to a displeasing 28.57 percent in the second, and players missed six of their seven 3-point attempts.

“Second half we came out really undisciplined,” Drews said. “They got a lead on us and we weren’t composed enough to continue attacking; instead, we got undisciplined in the defense.”

Drews led the team with a total of 16 points and Adams contributed another eight points, but it was not enough to defeat a team like the Warriors who have been plowing through the GSAC.

The Eagles struggled on the offensive end, turning over the ball a total of 16 times during the game.

Westmont’s Tugce Canitez split through screens and blew past defenders, part of a dominating night, scoring 24 total points while adding five assists. The Warriors made all four of their 3-point attempts in the second half and had a 54.9 field goal percentage the whole game.

Although it was a tough loss, the Eagles were able to see their needs for improvement through this game.

“As we prepare to compete with Point Loma on Saturday we will be working on our offensive consistency and efficiency, and playing fundamental and disciplined defense,” head coach Bethany Miller said.

Biola will return to Chase Gymnasium to face Point Loma Nazarene University on Saturday, Feb. 11. Tipoff is scheduled for 5:30 p.m.