Biolans learns about Honduras

Joann Van Engen, co-founder of the Association for a More Just Society, spent time on campus this week to share with Biola about the situation in Honduras.

Tonika Reed, Writer

Last Monday, the Coalition for Social Action teamed up with Joann Van Engen, co-founder of the Association for a More Just Society, in a chapel that informed students about Honduras, a land in turmoil resulting from a corrupt government.

Van Engen, the Fundraising and Administrative Associate for AJS, spoke at last Monday night’s chapel and was on campus through last Wednesday.

“Every action we take in life is either motivated by love or motivated by fear,” Van Engen said, quoting a former student of hers.

Van Engen proceeded to speak about the organization, explaining that it is a Christian organization that seeks to live out the Bible verse Micah 6:8, which commands Christians to love fearlessly and do justice.

A group of Biola students are currently in the process of going to Honduras for a water project in which they will be digging for a new water system at 6 a.m. each day.

By putting the water system in the hands of the Biolans who can help, Christians are “putting change and transformation in the hands of those people who have the ability to change things,” Van Engen said.

While in Honduras, students will also be playing soccer with young men in the community, pampering the exhausted working women with luxuries such as doing their hair or painting their nails and hosting a Vacation Bible School in which they can reach out to the children in the Honduran community.