Women’s basketball soars with victory

Women’s basketball soars with victory.

Sasha Terry, Staff Writer

The Eagles went head-to-head against Holy Names University in Oakland, Calif. on Jan. 25. Biola led for the entire 40-minute duration of the game and won in blowout fashion by a final score of 67-48.

EAGLES LEAD FROM START

The Eagles began on the right foot when freshman forward Jazz Benn made the first shot of the game. By the end of the first quarter, the Eagles had retrieved 14 rebounds and had built up a 10-point lead over HNU by a score of 20-10. In the second quarter, HNU attempted to catch up to the Eagles. With 3:21 remaining before halftime, HNU put up six points in a span of three minutes, which cut their deficit to 24-21. However, HNU proved to be no match for the Eagles. Biola responded to their opponent’s outburst with an eight-point run of their own. Junior forward Jessica Shill made a three-point shot with four seconds left to bump the score to 35-26 heading into halftime.

SECOND HALF SUCCESS

In the third quarter, the Eagles continued to widen the gap between themselves and HNU as they ended the quarter with a 16-point lead. In the fourth quarter, the Eagles continued pouring it on, reaching their highest lead over HNU with 21 points which took place with 4:04 on the clock. Sophomore guard Tatum Brimley and junior forward Sara Dougan both led the team with eight points in the second half. Senior guard Khadidja Diakite made the final shot for the Eagles with a layup in the last 13 seconds. The Eagles ended the game with a comfortable 19-point victory over HNU.

WIN SPARKS HIGH STATS

Every single Eagles player who saw the court grabbed a rebound, totaling to 38 as a team. Biola also had 18 assists. The team also made a high of 11 three-point shots. Shill and sophomore forward Emma Newman each recorded a team-high high five individual rebounds. Senior guard Demoria White scored a high of 20 points in the game and had four steals.

The win moved the Eagles to 8-9 overall and 5-6 in the PacWest conference.