Men’s basketball leaves Hawaii empty-handed

The Eagles lose in 25-point blowout to Hawaii-Hilo.

Austin Green, Sports Editor

Men’s basketball lost its second straight game to start its conference schedule, falling to the University of Hawaii at Hilo by a score of 80-55. The Vulcans controlled most of the game, never looking back after some big scoring runs in the first half. The loss meant that Biola men’s and women’s basketball finished their Hawaii trip with four losses and no wins.

HILO JUMPS AHEAD EARLY

The Eagles struck first with the first shot attempt of the game and first points of the game. They pulled ahead 5-4 early thanks to a three-pointer from junior guard Trevor Treinen but from there the Vulcans quickly took over. Hawaii-Hilo scored 14 of the next 16 points, building an 18-7 lead just less than halfway into the first. The Eagles rallied back, narrowing the deficit to five after a three-pointer from redshirt freshman guard Tyus Dennis and a jumper from freshman forward Michael Bagatourian. However, the Vulcans again went on a tear, widening the gap to as many as 15. The Eagles entered halftime trailing Hilo 42-29.

SECOND HALF SEALS LOSS

The second half started with a bad omen for the Eagles, as Hilo guard Ryley Callaghan made a three-pointer just eleven seconds into the half. It would only get worse for Biola from there, as the Eagles would never trail by less than 13 throughout the entire half. They tried to keep pace with the Vulcans at first thanks to some offense from Treinen and junior forward Levi Auble, but Hilo stretched the lead to as many as 29 later in the half. Some slight spurts of offense from freshman forward Isaiah Jones and junior forward Alex Talma kept the game from getting any further out of hand, but with 2:55 left and Hilo up 80-51, the Vulcans pulled all their starters as the home team celebrated their huge victory.

For the first time all season, the Eagles went without a player who scored in double digits. Auble led the team in points with nine and senior guard Blake Shannon, Jr. had two assists. Coach Dave Holmquist’s squad will attempt to bounce back from their tough loss when they play Concordia University Irvine at 7:30 p.m. on Dec. 9.