SGA leaders have a vision

SGA president and vice president discuss their progress so far and their hope for the spring.

Jessica Goddard, Features Editor

GREGORY AMBROSE, SENIOR ENGLISH MAJOR AND STUDENT GOVERNMENT ASSOCIATION PRESIDENT.

Q: What was your vision coming into the year?

A: “The end goal of it was to have students that were finally, at least on some rudimentary level, aware of the work SGA was doing on their behalf and providing them opportunities to be involved in it… Since then, we’ve sort of packed the vision into the three words… inform, involve, include.”

Q: How do you think your vision has come to fruition so far?

A: “Last fall, was a lot of sort of diagnosing the problems and needs that the Biola community has right now and getting a good guage on all the opportunities there are to do more… This semester’s looking more to be the execution phase of a lot of what we began… There were some things we were able to complete… like bringing Deck the Haven back was a huge success.”

Q: What is your goal for the rest of the semester?

A: “A lot of it, maybe even the bulk of it, is finishing up with the follow through on everything we began in the fall… Lots of constitutional review.”

Q: What does a normal day in the life of the SGA president look like?

A: “Lately it feels like 90 percent emails and 10 percent crying. No, I’m only kidding. …I mean the average day, like today was getting up, having a one on one meeting with my senior vice president, Ella, who managed senate, then meeting with the entirety of executive board, checking up on all of their departments, making sure things are going smoothly with them. Getting back to admin via email, maybe some meetings with them later today. Working with the interns that we hired last semester and preparing for a senate meeting tomorrow. So that’s one day.”

Q: If you have one impact leaving this, what would that be?

A: “I’d like to be known as a president who did his best to try to find and discover the unspoken and unmet needs of students on campus… I would like to be the president who improves the public reputation of SGA among the student body.”

ELLA COREY, SENIOR BUSINESS MAJOR AND SGA SENIOR VICE PRESIDENT.

A: “Greg and I really campaigned on our, like, mission statement was creating inclusive community, and so our goal was to get everyone involved in the conversation with SGA. Rather a few people who were elected, we wanted everyone to be involved in the conversation.”

A: “I think we have accomplished a lot of what we were trying to do… We’ve been doing a lot of video productions… Another thing that I’ve launched is doing surveys for every time we have proposals. Along with these videos when we post [them] through our Facebook and Instagram or whatever, we attach a survey link so that students can respond.”

A: “Just to tweak and keep modifying things, and I think also to set it up so that the person who comes after me is able to do some of the same kinds of things that they want to. It’s been a good progress to listen to students and to hear student voices and we’ve used technology to really amplify students voices.”

Q: What does a normal day in the life of the SGA vice president look like?

A: “I spend a lot of time right here [in the office]… I send a lot of emails. I have one-on-ones with senators very often. I have 11 senators and I meet for 30 minutes with them biweekly. So every week I have a few hours of one-on-ones with senators in here… Often my time is spent planning our three hour senate meeting on Thursdays, and so getting all our guest speakers organized, getting all of our agenda, our whole entire agenda mapped out, getting all of the materials ready, informing the staff of what we’re going to do, where it’s going to be, who’s going to be coming in… and drinking a lot of coffee.”

A: “As always, my goal every single day when I do this job is to empower the senators and as their boss or their manager, I want them to feel like they’re valued and like they’re heard and like they’re capable of doing so much more than what’s in their job.”