SMU navigates difficulty in election proposal

Over the last two years, SMU has continued to see changes to its presidential election process.

John Kay, Freelance Writer

After a mix-up regarding the Student Missionary Union constitution, their board of directors have reverted back to an election process for this year’s SMU presidential election.

Over the last two years, SMU has seen multiple changes to its presidential election process. In 2016-17, the board of directors passed a proposal that would alter presidential elections by requiring a selection process. Current SMU president Kristina Lowen explained the recent difficulties in implementing last year’s proposal in a recent statement to the Chimes.

“During this change, the 2016-2017 Board of Directors acted in accordance with the SMU Constitution they were given, however, unannounced to them a portion of that constitution was missing. This missing piece stated that all major constitutional changes must be approved by the student body through a public vote,” Lowen said in a statement.

The proposal in 2016-17 follows a recent shift in the way SMU views the purpose and intent of its president. In past elections, SMU has seen a decrease in presidential candidates that have spurred on the conversation around the role of the president.

“The Board of Directors willingly decided to revert back to an election process, until we are able to hold a student-wide vote and make these changes in accordance with the SMU Constitution,” Lowen said in a statement. “Although we have been unable to continue with the selection process for this year, we are thrilled with the opportunity that presidential candidates have in the 2018-2019 election.”

Students can look forward to voting on constitutional changes to SMU during the Student Government Elections, and on Feb. 15, SMU will announce their new president-elect who will strive to carry out SMU’s purpose to be a resource for students to reach the world for Christ locally and internationally.