Making friends: Breaking the Biola bubble

It’s never too late to make a new friend. You might be surprised; that girl down the hall might be a future interview subject, and that guy in your basketball class just might be your calculus cram buddy. Iamnext.com, which discusses a variety of issues pertaining to college students, provides a fun and easy list of tips on how to break down barriers and make new friends.

It’s never too late to make a new friend, find out some helpful tips to keeping the door opened to new people in your life. Photo by Bethany Cissel

A group of close friends going to the same college after graduating together in high school might think their “social niche” is already in place because they actually know people before they set foot on campus. Similarly, returning students might not feel the need to make new friends, just because they are satisfied with the friendships they have made during previous semesters and years at college.

It’s never too late to make a new friend. You might be surprised; that girl down the hall might be a future interview subject, and that guy in your basketball class just might be your calculus cram buddy.

Iamnext.com, which discusses a variety of issues pertaining to college students, provides a fun and easy list of tips on how to break down barriers and make new friends.

Doors of opportunities:
While you normally keep your dorm room door closed to study, leave it open if you are just hanging out. This gesture signals that you are approachable and welcoming to others, and floormates might drop by your room on their trek down the hall. (“Is that your favorite song? I love that song!”) Invite these guys or girls and start a conversation. Maybe they live on the same floor as you, but you have never seen them before; such is the cases on many long halls. If you leave your door open for some time – especially if your room is located at the beginning of the hall – someone is bound to drop in and say “hi.”

Community connections:
You might be standing in line for the bathroom in dorms with community halls like Hope or Horton, but that does not mean you can’t make friends there. According to iamnext.com, “one unexpected but ideal time to meet your floormates is in the floor bathroom.” Lots of discussion can ensue while you’re doing your hair or putting in your contacts. Remember: when you go to the bathroom you never know who you’re going to encounter, so don’t forget common courtesies and bathroom etiquette.

Eagle excitement:
School spirit not only unifies the student body, but results in introducing you to new people. Go to student mixers for your hall and participate in events organized by AS. Student leaders often put a lot of time and effort into making the event fun for everybody, especially new students, so you might consider going to that floor barbeque about which you were formerly iffy. Events that involve the entire student body (such as dorm competitions and Mock Rock) are also great ways to meet new students across campus.

New players, new game:
A good way to meet others who share your interests is participating in clubs, sports or intramurals. Clubs on Biola’s campus can unite those from a certain area (Hawaii Club) or those with similar passions (Biola Cheese Society). Being part of a Biola athletic team is a unique experience in itself; you and your teammates will constantly see each other during the season, resulting in strong bonds through common experiences and goals. Lastly, intramurals is a great way to have fun while still being competitive. Join that ultimate Frisbee or volleyball team, and you will find others who like the same activities.