Volleyball claims victory in Hawaii

Eagles dominate to take a four-set win against Hilo.

Thecla Li/THE CHIMES [file]

Joel Ashor, Writer

After a long flight, women’s volleyball took on the University of Hawaii at Hilo  for their fourth PacWest game on Sept. 29. The Eagles played well throughout, hitting, blocking, and dominating defensively to take a four-set win over the Vulcans.

Strong effort from both sides

Set one found the Eagles in front early, taking a 4-1 lead led by two kills from sophomore Brooke Watts. After a three point run from the Vulcans later in the set, the score stood at 16-16, but the Eagles took control from there. Biola benefitted from several hitting errors by Hilo and doubled down to close the set out 25-19.

The second set began with a big push from Hilo as they took an 11-4 lead midway through the set. The Eagles battled back to tie things up at 15 following a kill by junior setter Brinley Beresford. Junior middle blocker Sierra Bauder gave the Eagles their 21-19 lead, but the Vulcans tied it up at 22 with a kill. The offense then took over with three kills coming from Beresford, junior opposite hitter Karly Dantuma and junior outside hitter Hannah Van Warmerdam to take the set 25-23.

In the third set, the Vulcans focused in and led early, but the Eagles tied it up at 16 late in the set with a kill from Watts. Hilo then pushed and took a 24-21 lead, but the Eagles again would not give up. Two straight kills from Watts made it 24-23, but the Vulcans closed it out with a kill to take the set 25-23.

Determined to close out the match, Biola started strong in the fourth set. Three consecutive kills from Dantuma put the Eagles on top 8-3 early and they would never relinquish that lead. The Vulcans never got close from then on as the Eagles hit well and continued to benefit from many Hilo errors. The offense shone throughout the set as six different hitters picked up kills. They closed it out on yet another hitting error from the Vulcans, winning 25-19 to take the match 3-1.

Watts dominates post injury

Coming back from a injury, Watts dominated throughout to lead the Eagles with 13 kills as well as picking up five blocks. Dantuma also played very well, racking up 11 kills, followed by Van Warmerdam with eight. It was an impressive night offensively as Beresford dished out assists to six different Eagles hitters, finishing the match with 39 assists.

Defensively, Biola performed exceptionally as Bauder garnered eight blocks followed by six from freshman middle blocker Bekah Roth. Senior libero Tess Van Grouw garnered an astounding 27 digs to lead the defense as she picked up nearly everything hit at her.

The Eagles are back in action in Hawaii on Sept. 30, taking on Hawaii Pacific University at 10 p.m.