Eagles split pair of games to close tournament

Biola goes 1-1 on the day to finish play in San Francisco.

Jason Lin/THE CHIMES [file]

Joel Ashor, Writer

The Eagles closed two weeks of play in San Francisco by splitting a pair of games Sept. 9. They opened the day against The University of Alaska Fairbanks Nanooks, fighting hard but ultimately losing three sets to one. They then closed with a 3-1 win over Cal Poly Pomona Broncos in impressive fashion.

Winslow leads the way

Set one began with several four point runs from both teams. Redshirt sophomore Sabrina Winslow led the way for the Eagles as they traded blows with the Nanooks. The set stood at 21 all until Alaska Fairbanks closed it out with four straight points.

In set two the Eagles played hard, pushing the Nanooks to the brink and ultimately taking the set 25-22. Winslow led the way again, picking up timely kills to help win the set.

The third set found the Eagles and Nanooks in yet another battle, with Alaska coming out on top 25-22.

In the fourth set redshirt freshman Savannah Hilde played well and dominated at the net, but they lost the match, losing the set in a close one 25-23.

On offense, Winslow led the team with 14 kills while junior opposite hitter Karly Dantuma chipped in 13. Freshman outside hitter Bekah Roth had eight kills as well. Junior setter Brinsley Beresford put up 25 assists to lead the attack while freshman setter Vanessa Garcia had 20.

​Finding their way

Senior libero Tess Van Grouw continued to pick up everything, garnering 22 digs to lead the defense.

The second match of the day came against the Cal Poly Pomona Broncos, and the two teams battled from the start. The Broncos won the first set as they outplayed the Eagles to take a 25-21 win.

The Eagles found their rhythm in the second set, taking a 25-21 win led by Winslow’s strong offense.

Set three remained tightly contested throughout, but three straight kills by Winslow gave the Eagles the comeback win 26-24.

Biola clinched the match in the fourth set with a stellar effort from Dantuma to close it out 25-19.

Hilde led the offensive attack, garnering 19 kills in a dominant display of power. Dantuma followed with 16 kills while Winslow had 13 to finish yet another impressive effort. Beresford excelled, putting up an eye popping 59 assists to set the team record for the season. Van Grouw picked up 16 digs to lead the defense.

The Eagles’ record now sits at 6-2, and they continue play at Concordia on Sept. 16 at 5 p.m. in Irvine, Calif.