Scintillating Saturday softball

Kayla Neff provides fireworks with walk-off single as Eagles earn split against Menlo College.

Chak Hee Lo/THE CHIMES

Dale Fredriks, Writer

Across the two box scores for the Biola softball games against the Menlo College Oaks on March 11, there were a total of 44 hits and 26 runs. Biola emerged from their home series with a split, dropping the first game 5-4 but winning the second 9-8 after a dramatic walk-off single in extra innings from freshman catcher Kayla Neff.

The Eagles began the first game by giving up two quick runs in the first inning, then responded with two of their own in the second inning. The Oaks put up one in the fifth and two more in the sixth to give them a 5-2 lead heading into the final inning. Biola got runs from junior third baseman Selina Sherlin and Neff in the seventh, but came up a run short overall.

Game two featured a much more exciting start as Biola jumped out to an 8-3 lead after just the first inning. Menlo earned four additional runs in the second to make the score 8-7 in the Eagles’ favor. Then, both teams went on a run drought for four full innings until Menlo scored the tying run in the top of the seventh.

With the bases loaded in the bottom of the seventh with one out, Menlo fought their way out of the jam to take the game to extras. Per international tiebreaker rules, Menlo started out their half of the inning with a runner on second, but sophomore pitcher Kaile Chavez got three quick outs to give Biola the chance to win. Sophomore shortstop Andi Hormel started at second for the Eagles, then moved to third off a sacrifice bunt from sophomore third baseman Missy Poti, then crossed home plate thanks to Neff’s walk-off single to left field.

These games marked the finale of Biola’s 12-game homestand, where they went a total of 7-5. Overall, their record moved to 16-9-2 and they remain even in Golden State Athletic Conference play with a 5-5 record. The Eagles next travel to face the San Diego Christian College Hawks on March 21 with a doubleheader starting at 1 and 3 p.m.