Students’ reactions to science and faith Conference

Those who attended more confident about Christianity in the science world.

Rebecca Mitchell/ THE CHIMES

Jessica Goddard, Writer

The science field holds some of the greatest thinkers in the world – many of whom explain religion as a mere fantasy and science as the truth. But what if the two subjects did not have to deny each other? What if they could blend together and both portray truth?

Faith in the World of Science

Christian students who study science constantly hear the argument that faith has no place in science; however, after hearing James Tour speak on science and faith, students felt more confident about being Christians in the scientific field.

“I really loved it. A lot of what he was talking about, I thought was really relevant,” said sophomore film major Andrew Daughters.

A Fresh Outlook

Tour lectured at Biola at 7 p.m. on Thursday, Sept. 29, 2016, on his scientific qualifications, his own conversion to Christianity and how to speak of Christianity in the science world. The passionate faith of this great thinker refreshed the spirits and gave hope to the minds of the Christian listeners. Students entered the conference with the anticipation of hearing from a Christian in the field of science and left with the boldness to proclaim their beliefs to their science coworkers.

While the material Tour presented proved complex, students felt they could understand enough to feel confident in faith and the physical world. Tour mostly talked of his personal Christian faith and his study of science in two separate formats and then how he works them together.

“He kept referencing his website, so I think it will be interesting to look into that,” said sophomore Christian ministries major Tracy Brooks. “His personal views were the interesting things to hear about.”

Gratitude for Learning

Many students expressed their gratitude for the opportunity to learn more about these issues during their college careers.

“I think it’s just really important that we’re here at Biola to just learn both sides,” said sophomore biology major Aimee Sanchez. “Obviously, just also to learn that they aren’t separate. They work together, so I think that’s really important.”

A large number of students filled the auditorium in Sutherland Hall, some because their professors required them and others simply because they wished to learn.

“I just came because it seems really interesting, and I want to learn more,” Sanchez said.

Tour also spoke of the creation arguments and of debunking the argument of evolution. He described newer scientific finds and theories on the start of the universe.

“I’m really interested in the creation arguments and being able to defend Christian faith scientifically,” said undeclared junior Jared Karpa.

A fair amount of students attended the conference because they believed they needed to have an answer for atheists who would use science to argue against Christianity.

“By understanding science fully, we can argue in a better way,” Daughters said.

Tour did not specifically focus on speaking against nonbelievers but mostly focused on how he shows Christ’s love to the people in his field. Tour brightly displayed his faith and encouraged the students through it.

“I think when you really focus on what Christianity really is, it ties beautifully with science,” said freshman nursing major Grace Stieglitz.

Not only do science and religion unite splendidly, but aspects of God’s design show throughout scientific study, encouraging Christians in the science world, according to undeclared sophomore Lesley Hart.

“God is seen in the smallest parts of science, too, which I think is really cool. There’s still room for God in science, which is really big,” Hart said.