Single runs split games

Single runs decided both of the Biola softball team’s games against the University of Antelope Valley on March 25.

Jack Finck, Writer

Biola’s softball team hosted the University of Antelope Valley on March 25. The Pioneers exchanged games with Biola, winning the first game by a score of 1-0, followed by the Eagles taking the second game by the same score.

The first four innings of the first game proved scoreless for both teams until the Pioneers scored the only run of the game in the bottom of the fifth inning. Sophomore right-handed pitcher Kimmy Triolo entered the game, replacing freshman right-handed pitcher Terri Van Dagens. With two outs, the Pioneers hit a triple to left field, advancing the runner on second base home. Biola was unable to answer, leaving seven runners on base and finishing the game with zero runs.

This game marks the second game of the season where the Eagles were not able to score a run. The other scoreless game came against the California State University-San Marcos on March 5.

Van Dagens pitched four scoreless innings for the Eagles. In the 15 batters faced, only two earned hits and two were struck out. Although Triolo earned the loss on her pitching record, she struck out two batters and only allowed two hits and one run.

Biola turned the results in the second game, scoring in the second inning. With two outs, and runners on second and third, senior shortstop Sarah Stromwall singled to center field. The hit allowed sophomore outfielder Kasey Hormel to reach home from third base.

After five scoreless innings for both teams, Biola won the game 1-0. This marks Biola’s sixth game of holding their opponent scoreless.

Senior right-handed pitcher Reba DePriest pitched five innings for the Eagles. Of the 17 batters faced, only two earned hits while striking out two players and walking one. DePriest currently holds a season record of 13-3.

Biola currently sits at No. 16 in the NAIA, while being third in the Golden State Athletic Conference. They currently hold a season record of 22-10 and 8-4 in conference.

The Eagles next game home is against Arizona Christian University on March 27. The Firestorm are currently 21-9 and have lost to Biola twice earlier this season.