AS Senate Rundown: April 3, 2012

AS senators heard six new proposals and passed two at their meeting on April 3.

Christine Chan and Christine Chan

New proposals

• Senior Chris Elliott requested $399.40 for #Coffeetimebiola 2.0, an iced coffee tasting event that will further expose students to the world of gourmet coffee. The funds will go toward coffee beans, advertising and supplies. A similar event was hosted earlier this semester, which Elliott said was enthusiastically received. He is expecting around 300 students to attend the event, which will likely happen in May.
  • Junior Julia Bates, a Thompson Hall resident assistant, requested $500 to fund the semesterly barbecue for the Bluff community, which includes Li Apartments, Welch Apartments and Thompson Hall. Bates said the event, which receives good feedback and sees approximately 150 students, experienced a budget cut which reduced the budget to $75.
    Senior Travis Cory, a Hart Hall resident assistant, requested $500 to help fund “Heat of the Night,” an annual event hosted by Hart’s Heat floor for the Biola community. Cory said Heat has never requested money from AS before but hopes the additional funds would help increase the quality of advertising and the individual rooms on the floor, each of which have their own theme.
  • Senior Rachel Van Der Merwe and senior Nolan Goff requested $1,630 to fund the on-campus premiere of their student film, “Summer,” which will be held on April 26. The premiere will also celebrate the Year of the Arts and Van Der Merwe and Goff are expecting around 400 attendees. Biola students were invited last year to participate as extras in the film. Funds will go toward event services, refreshments, marketing and fees for the bands playing.
  • Senior Jarvis Greiner requested $2,000 to help fund his senior thesis film, “Upon My Honor.” The film will cost $6,000 and the requested funding would go toward the shooting of the film, which is scheduled to take place in mid-April. Greiner said his goal for the short film is to soften people’s hearts to the unfortunate, and it will be shown at Biola.
  • Sophomore Andrew Eichler, a resident assistant in Hope Hall, requested $344.54 to purchase a propane grill to use for events in Hope South. Eichler said it would help build stronger community within floors and serve as a long-term investment for the dorm, since the charcoal grills that are available for use are expensive and difficult to use.
    Senior Luke Robinson, Sigma Hall senator, requested $150 to help fund a political science speaking event to discuss how the justice system can be used by Christians. The event will be free to all students on campus. Funds will go toward refreshments, advertising, decorations and a speaker thank-you gift.
  • Junior Janine Marderian, AS president, requested $1,150 to help fund AS Serve Day, which will be taking place on April 28. Marderian said her original budget was only $300 because Serve Day usually takes place in the La Mirada area. The requested funds would go toward advertising, transportation and supplies expenses for 60 students who will be serving in Long Beach, Los Angeles and Santa Ana.

###Passed proposals

• Senators approved a proposal requesting $1,442 for Hart Loves Week, an event that intends to foster community within Hart Hall in a way that will branch out into the rest of the Biola and La Mirada community. Senators expressed support for the event and said they were excited that it was not exclusively for Hart residents.
  • The senate also passed a proposal requesting $1,360 to help fund this semester’s remaining Good Morning Off Campus Community sessions, as well as a commuter event that will take place before Mock Rock. The event is intended to help bring commuters out to Mock Rock and encourage active involvement in AS activities.