AS Senate Rundown: March 13, 2012

AS senators heard one new proposal from the Coalition for Social Action coordinator and passed two at their meeting on March 13.

Megan Garton

AS meets every Tuesday afternoon to discuss campus proposals and plans. | Meagan Garton/THE CHIMES

Christine Chan, Writer

New proposals

• A proposal from sophomore Sarah Croswhite, Coalition for Social Action coordinator, requested $100 for additional supply money. The funds, which will only be for this semester, will be used for markers for their new sandwich board, expanding CSA’s resources and any additional items needed for events.

According to senior Kelsey Seitz, AS vice president of services, CSA’s half-day conference will be on March 30 at Calvary Chapel.

Passed

• Senators heard a proposal from junior Amy Howard, AS elections chair, requesting an additional $447.26 to help cover the cost of the 2012 election expenses. Howard said the original budget of $1,000 was insufficient to cover all the election event costs. Last year’s budget, also $1,000, went over by $300. The requested funds would cover expenses for the election, including hot drinks for the upcoming presidential debate, which will take place at 9 p.m. on March 20 by the mailboxes. The proposal passed unanimously.
  • The senate approved a proposal requesting $2,000 to help fund a photography project titled “The Margin Legends.” Senators were excited about the project and said that students had also given positive responses. Funds will go toward costuming, framing and printing. Students working on the project are currently looking into holding the project in one of the Talbot conference rooms and are open to the photos being a permanent fixture at Biola. “The Margin Legends” aims to address stereotypes and create discussion through photos of missing archetypes in western media.